question on a bad hatch

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by linz44, May 9, 2016.

1. linz44

linz44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2015
    My father in law has incubated eggs many times and usually does very well. He stopped doing it a while back and just went out and bought a new little giant incubator from tractor supply. He does know what he's doing and did everything correctly. He did eggs from his hens which are several kinds, and I gave him some barred rock Sex link eggs and some Rhode island red eggs from my hens. His hatch date was 4 days ago. He got 1 good one that is in perfect shape on the 2nd day after the due date. Then 3rd day beyond the date he got an Easter egger and he looks great but is wobbling all over and cant really walk. It goes off balance and kind of runs backwards. Then yesterday he had 2 hatch and they died shortly after the hatch and then a barred rock hatched and is doing the wobble and it tips over. No more eggs Have hatched or pipped. I also got the same incubator and I had to return the first one I got because it wasn't heating above 70. I got another and it seems fine but I'm wondering if His problems could be from his new incubator. This is His first time using this incubator. It just seems strange that he had a full incubator and all the eggs were checked and the bad ones disposed of correctly. I know they can hatch late, but thus far things are looking quite bad. Any ideas on what the problem could be? He didn't do anything wrong that I know of. He turned them and did everything he was supposed to do and never jarred the eggs or anything like that. I really hope he has better luck with the next ones but I really think something is wrong.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    First thing I would check is the thermometer. The incubator may not have been running at the proper temperature.

3. linz44

Apr 12, 2015
    It has the digital temp display and it has been at the correct temp, according to the display. He has the thermometer on the eggs under the heater like the directions say. Maybe the thermometer is not right though if you are thinking its a temp issue. I'll tell him to check the temp with another thermometer and compare that to what the display says and see if they are the same or what. He took the humidity plugs out at the correct times too. I just can't figure out what happened. He hasn't had any hatch today yet. Its not looking good! Thank you!

4. linz44

Apr 12, 2015
    Another thing I was thinking is that neither of us got the separate fan that circulates the heat. It says you don't need it but could this be why? I have never used it so I don't know if the hatch rates are much better with the extra fan or not. If its a lot better with it I will go buy it for my next hatch.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    To me it sounds as if the eggs were incubated at too low a temperature. Calibrating/checking the thermometer especially in a new incubator is essential - they all too frequently indicate incorrect temperatures.

1 person likes this.
  6. Nin315

Nin315 Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow. Glad I'm not the only ones having similar probs. Got an FI first. Local eggs but less than half hatched. Shipped eggs was even worse. Then got a Little giant..even worse..I also have past experience..these 2 new ones are both with fan and auto turners..also few things I have found out so far:
    1. Dont even try to use the temp or humidity readings on the units..mine both read way higher than they really are..I bought numerous thermos..all read differently..finally got an accurite. The kind that has a wired probe..used ice method to calibrate it. It reads one degree higher than its supposed to but works. I've talked to a couple of ppl and they said the probed ones from incubator supply r good.
    2. I never tried the air cell measuring in past but learned that, at least in these u have to..I had so much success n past w redwood kind and never had to do any of this..
    3. Both brands will b running fine and all of a sudden, it will go way high or low temps..little giant especially.it drops to 91, then sometimes went to 109..I'm getting ready to call both companies, tho it probably won't do any good. I think it's totally rediculous that u buy a brand new digital display unit that u can't count on..let alone the mood swings of the unit..freezing my eggs, then frying them up...
    The hatch I have going on today looks a tad better so far..can't believe they even have 1 hatching..
    I'm gonna figure this out if it kills me..lol

7. Nin315

Oh yeah, throw out the directions from the units and read on this site..never use plugs to control humidity

8. linz44

Apr 12, 2015
    The directions suck that come with the little giant unit! My incubator is fluctuating so much on the temp and humidity and It's brand new. I guess they don't work out of the box and can't be relied on at all. The other day I was spinning eggs and the eggs in the middle felt so much warmer then the outer eggs. In so frustrated! I'm probably not even going to use this thing again. It's not worth the cost and everyone I've heard of using them didn't care for them. I understand that it's going to bounce around but not by 10 degrees!

9. Nin315

Same issues here. I finally did get my FI to stay steady. I have to set it at 103.5 according to the display to get it to the actual temp of 100. B SURE to calibrate your thermos. I used ice method..all 4 of the extra thermos that came with both units were off. My little giant is like yours..about 10 degrees or more sudden spikes and drops. Someone did suggest that they put the probe thing for the digital readout right under their fan, or in your case, try putting it right under the display box. I am trying that and it does seem to have helped with the LG spiking, so far. Like you, I am so ticked off that these don't come working properly straight from the box..it's not like they are super cheap..like ten bucks or something. I haven't had the chance to contact the companies but I'll try to do it today..will keep u posted on what they say. Let me know if allocating the probe helps any...incubatorsupply.com is where ppl say the thermos are pretty good. I'm going to try one of those as soon as I can.

10. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Never trust the thermometer/thermostat. Always use a secondary thermometer that you know is reliable.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by