question on americanas, araucanas, EE

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by gapeachy, Feb 17, 2009.

1. gapeachy

gapeachy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2008
    Rome Ga
    ok I know this question has been asked a zillion times on here and I have looked at other post and still cant understand....what is the difference in americana's araucana's EE?.....are the americanas pure breed or the araucana's.....I have ordered 50 araucana's from a hatchery...what will i expect to get?....I have 25 chicks now and they are striped on the head and already have earmuffs....some look blueish in their wings....thanks for all input

2. imfowl

imfowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2008
    Louisiana
    Nothing. They all lay colored eggs. For some reason, people on here despise hatcheries. They will tell you your RIR's, americanas, silkies, etc arent real. They are healthy birds, and good egg layers. The law wouldn't allow these hatcheries to sell mutt chickens under these names if it werent true. Sorry to be so blunt, but it really chaps my hide when people say things like "hatchery silkie", or "production red."

3. gapeachy

Oct 21, 2008
    Rome Ga
    thank you....I was worried about them not laying colored eggs....I dont want to show them or anything....I dont have an incubator so I have to get from hatchery ....and now I am paranoid about buying from people because of CRD....and have to cull....

4. imfowl

Dec 17, 2008
    Louisiana
    I get all my chicks from hatceries, they will be fine. So what if they have one too many tail feathers, I mean God forbid it couldn't win a blue ribbon.[​IMG]

5. havi

havi [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Si

Mar 23, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    There is a HUGE difference in the three! Araucanas have tuffs and are rumpless. If you ordered them from a hatchery then they are EEs. Nothing wrong with that. I just recieved my EEs from Ideal. And I love them. I also have an Araucana roo that I hatched from eggs that I bought off someone here. I'll post pictures in just a second of what the three different breeds look like.

Here is another post from a fellow BYCer that is really good. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=128806

These
    are Araucanas. As well are these.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
  6. cottagegarden

cottagegarden Eggistentialist

Oct 2, 2008
    SE PA
    WHOA...HERE...Well then perhaps you should take your hatchery stock to a APA show and see how they do. YOU are entitled to your opinions and choices on what YOU choose to raise but you should not pass along MISINFORMATION. Breeders work very hard at meeting Breed Standards and preserving the integrity of a particular Breed. Ive seen enough of these threads to know they always end up badly so I'm not trying to start another argument and I know your mind probably wont be enlightened on the truth if you choose not to be . However, Gapeachy Ameraucanas and Araucana must come from breeders. If you get then from a hatchery they are EE's. They may lay nice blue eggs for you but if you breed them you wont get recognized Color Varieties. Perhaps that isnt important to you, but what if some poor 4H kid gets chicks from you and doesnt find out they arent purebreeds until showing time, or someone buy chicks from you and grow them out for a year to breed only to find they have EE's?There are certainly enough folks on here who can help you out or contact one of those breed clubs if you are truely interested in those breeds. Otherwise hatchery stocks makes very nice layers and pets.
    Quote:

7. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
  8. imfowl

Dec 17, 2008
    Louisiana
    Cottagegarden, you just proved the point I was trying to make without me having to elaborate. My chickens are for eggs and meat. Me and 90% of the other people I know that raise chickens could give a rats behind about an apa show. My uncle is one of those people who claims his RIR's are " heritages" and mine are "production". He only buys from breeders. he probaly loses 35-40% of his birds to mareks or some other disease, and mine outlay his 2 to 1. I aint no math genius, but hmmm...

9. gapeachy

Oct 21, 2008
    Rome Ga
    ok so i need to call mine EE's now.....they are only 1 week old now and are different colors so I am sure they are not pure breed....I will make sure when I am selling them I say EE"s because I want to be honest about it....

10. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Thank you for being honest. There have been a lot of people that were told one thing to only hatch out something different.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by