question on baby ducklings

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by hereachick, Aug 21, 2008.

1. hereachick

hereachick Out Of The Brooder

My duck recently hatched her ducklings she has 4.My question is 1 of the ducklings is half the size of the rest of the hatch and doesn't seem to be growing as fast as the others.It's active enough and eats like a pig.It does get left out tho when the others all go swimming it can't quite make it into the pool (altho today it did for the first time) Rather it runs along the outside of the pool beeping for the others.Mom pays attention to it but does nothing to help it into the pool.Dad pecks at it sometimes.Should I be worried that theres something wrong with it or do baby ducks sometimes stay small like humans do and then sprout up outa nowhere? Other than being small it seems to be fine.

2. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    unfortunantly if your doing everything right, which it seems you are, and its not growing , theres nothing you can do. it might not live

3. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

not sure how tame your ducks are..

But I had one runt and, from advice gotten from this forum, gave him some poly-vi-sol (baby liquid vitamins) for a few days and he suddenly started growing.

Before the vitamins he was about HALF the size of the rest. After about a week of the vitamins he started shooting up and now he is only a tiny bit smaller than the rest.

4. DrakeMaiden

DrakeMaiden Overrun with Drakes

Jun 8, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    I had one that stopped growing for a while. I think she was fighting something off. I gave her live culture yogurt several times a day and after a few days she started growing again. Good luck!

5. hereachick

hereachick Out Of The Brooder

thanks, I think I'll try some vitimain water and some yogurt it can't hurt maybe this duckling will shoot up too!

6. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

good luck, tell us how it goes!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by