Question on banding chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by peakpoultry, Mar 29, 2009.

1. peakpoultry

peakpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    Marana, Arizona
    Hi everyone,

I need some ideas on how everyone is banding their chickens. I need to know where my Silkies came from and I want to have a system for this. Does anyone have any ideas. I looked online at the bands but I don't know if I should get the numbered ones or just the colored. I don't know what size to get either.[​IMG]

2. serendipity22

serendipity22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    NC
    Sorry I can't help...

Maybe someone else has some ideas for you.

3. peakpoultry

Mar 25, 2009
    Marana, Arizona
    Quote:Thank you.

4. melissastraka

melissastraka Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Hoquiam, WA
    i went to home depot and for $6 i got neon zip ties for my girls. i just put them on loosely and keep checking every couple of weeks to see if they need to be changed for growing. I do this for ages instead of where they came from and it works great so far.

5. slc

slc Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2008
    Upper Michigan
    I'm going to try those tyvek type weatheproof wristbands and see how they work out. They come in sheets so they can be printed on a laser printer or use a sharpe. Can't see ordering bandettes in lots of 25 in every color for a handful of chickens.

6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Zip ties and numbered plastic bands suit me fine. I hated those spiral plastic because it hurts the birds legs when you try to twist the spirals on.

Here is the pic of the pink leg bands I have on my spitz girl
    [​IMG]

7. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    I LOVE your Spitz girl!! She's beautiful!!!!!

I know nothing about banding chickens. I breed parrots and I use stainless steel bands to band the parrots, though.

Laurie

8. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Stainless steel bands are good but hard to remove. I think those are more for permenant IDs.

The plastic bands I can remove them easily when I sell a bird or lost a bird. It does not cost that much.

Thank you, I love my Spitz girls too and planning on getting more of them LOL!

9. peakpoultry

Mar 25, 2009
    Marana, Arizona
    Thank you for all your ideas, I'm sure I will go with the numbered bands, or the zip ties.

10. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    I like bandettes, which are easy to put on and seem to stay on pretty well. I have different colors for different year birds. For example, I have yellow bands for 2008 birds. I then use Y23 (for example) in my record keeping. The 2009 birds will have red bands, and we'll start with R1, R2, etc.

The roosters have names. So I can then say that R34 is the offspring of Iko and Y22. Make sense?

You can get numbered colored bands almost anywhere. You'll want #11s for large fowl hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by