Question on 'Bator Temps......

K7 Menagerie

Songster
11 Years
May 6, 2008
Bend, OR
This is the first time I've tried to hatch eggs, and I'm kinda worried about the temps. I have an LG still air 'bator, with egg turner. The temperature just will not remain constant. First thing in the morning, it's about 98.8, by the end of the day it's about 100.8. I don't know if I should adjust it or not. I know in humans, we tend to have the lowest body temperature first thing in the morning and the highest body temperature in the evening. If chickens are the same, then it would make sense to leave the 'bator alone. The problem is, if I try to adjust it even a little, the temperature goes WAY up or WAY down (not sure, I may have already fried my eggs when it shot up to 105 for about 20 minutes).

Ok, that's it for my long, rambling message. What do you think?

I would leave it alone. You are about close enough. As far as the 105 for 20 min. you should be ok there too. We al tend to get a little upset when these things happen I know we want to be right on the mark! In my opinion just leave it alone you should be ok.

Still air should be between 101-102. With the temp fluctuations look at where you have the bator at. Is there a draft? Does the sun shine in a window on/near it?

I had a temp fluctuation problem and the window was across the room. I put a heavy blanket over it and that solved the temp fluctuation.

Well, I have the 'bator in our guest room, and both the window and the blinds are closed, no drafts. I should mention that where the temperature sensor is located is about where the center of the egg would be, not at the top or bottom. Thanks for all your help!

Also put your bator on a surge protector. That helps.

If it makes you feel any better. I had a 105 for an unknown period (but longer than 20 minutes, I think). Still had healthy chicks but they were early and had some navel issues. They look fine now though!

Try putting it in the bottom of a little used closet. There is less ambient air movement in there.

Also try making an insulating jacket of bubble wrap and tape, being mindful not to block the vents.

Finally what are you using for a thermometer? If it is the one that came with the bator, it's junk and unreliable. Ive had them burst open!

Still air incubators are okay but they are utterly dependent on convection for air movement in the chamber. They develop hot spots and cold zones as a result. They are also more affected by ambient air changes.

Hang tough as you are being advised, and get a fan in there for next time.

I purchased a Radio Shack digital thermometer/hygrometer combo. I double checked it against another thermometer, and it appears to be accurate.

Thanks for the other suggestions!

I'm jumping in here, because I too have a question about styro bator temps. I have a forced air bator and I've noticed that right under the fan the temp is a couple degrees cooler than around the edges of the bator. Has anyone else had this problem? Are the temps close enough it won't matter or will my eggs in the middle be behind the ones on the edges?

The small bators have a problem little mentioned - they are small. Im convinced it is the source of much angst with them. I work in the industrial world and building systems and controls are part of my experience. The best stability in temp regulation always comes from modifying the temps of a large air mass, not attempting to control one single room.
This is why I add thermal buffers to my bators and recommend it always.

Right under the fan there can be a marked lower temp due to the forced air stream. Stand in front of a fan at home and you'll feel the same effect. I employ an air deflector at the fan to deflect the air stream along the ceiling and walls of the chamber to help alleviate this.
You should also move your eggs around to different places in the chamber throughout the incubation periodl, to give them equal exposure.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom