question on bedding

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by hartsfarm, Feb 19, 2012.

1. hartsfarm

hartsfarm New Egg

Jan 17, 2012
    winter haven , florida
    new to raising chickens and i was wondering if there was anything wrong with using fresh grass clipping in my coop and run. i run a lawncare business in florida and have plenty of fresh augustine and bahia clippings. most of my yards are sprayed for chinch bugs and ants and fleas so i dont think ill have problems with bugs. my chicks ur 4 weeks old and i have been letting the play in the coop and they seem to love it. so any feedback would be appreciated . thanks :}

2. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    The chickens will eat those clippings so I'm not so sure about them ingesting the pesticides/chemicals.

3. hartsfarm

hartsfarm New Egg

Jan 17, 2012
    winter haven , florida
    so do you think i could use the clippings from my non sprayed yards. i have a few acres that are not treated. i have a few customers who make compost pile from there clippings. i am really just trying to recycle because i can get a ton of clipping in the summer months (rainy season) and i have other friends with chickens that are interested in the same idea.

4. redhen689

redhen689 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    SE PA
    I think there might be problems with putting wet/damp grass clippings in the coop. You'd have to make the clippings into hay first, and I don't know how you'd dooing that.

I think it would be fine to put them in the run. The chickens would dig through them looking for bugs and things to eat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by