Question on bielefelder genetics

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by HARRY47264, Mar 24, 2017.

1. HARRY47264

HARRY47264 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2016
    Bismarck AR
    Greenfire was the original importer in 2011. All of us that raise and breed Bielefelders probably have stock from Greenfire . Any body know how many original birds they imported .My 6 hens and 2 roosters all came from the same breeder a mix of 2011 and 2013 imports they are all brothers , sisters , cousins ,aunts ,uncles etc . How long can we continue to breed these closely related birds before a lack of genetic diversity drags down the quality of the breed. I promise if I hit the lottery I will go to Deutschland and buy some to add to the gene pool. My ancestors all came from the state of Hesse- Kassel in Germany the descendants of the Hessians maybe I can find a long lost relative.
    Have a nice spring day
    Harry

2. dehaan

dehaan Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2015
    This might be unrelated but I have heard you can breed a Bielefelder roo over a RIR hen and the female offspring would be pure Bielfelder. Then breed them back to your roo and egg production would be improved. I have no idea if this is true...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by