QUESTION ON BLOOD WORK FOR A FAIR

ginbart

Crowing
12 Years
Mar 9, 2008
Bloomsburg, PA
I am wanting to put my chickens in the Bloomsburg Fair but found out I need to get blood work done. I need to call harrisburg, our Capital, and get information on rules and regs.

Could someone tell me an average cost per chicken to get the blood work done and how do they do it? Then I need to find someone to do it.
he.gif

Thanks.

Around here, they will do the NPIP testing at the show before you enter them. You CAN get it done at home and then it's 5 cents per bird or $5 for all birds, whichever is more. (Like I had less than 30 birds and paid $5 outright, a friend has hundreds and gets charged 5 cents per bird. Make sense?)

To do it, they take blood from under their wing with a needle, then check it with this other liquidy purple stuff to make sure all's good. It's quite easy and the birds don't fuss too much.

In Michigan when we show up at a fair or poultry show you have to show that they were pullrom(sp?) tested in the last 90 days or they do the test there. 4-H is free and poultry shows are $1/bird. It is what the previous post desribed. When the test is done, be carefull with light colored birds, some are bleeders and you'll want to hold the papertowel good so the blood doesn't get on the feathers.

Sarah

Well I am too late for the fair. But I found out I can take a class and then do the blood work myself. I think I am going to do that because there is no one around here to do it. Then maybe I can do it for other people. I guess I'll have to wait another year.

WOW now that sounds easy. I wonder why it's a day long class. They didn't tell me the cost of taking the class or where I need to go to take it. Everything costs In Pennsylvania. It's a wonder they don't charge us to breath.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom