1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

QUESTION ON BLOOD WORK FOR A FAIR

Discussion in 'Chickenstocks, Shows, Meet-Ups' started by ginbart, Aug 15, 2008.

1. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    I am wanting to put my chickens in the Bloomsburg Fair but found out I need to get blood work done. I need to call harrisburg, our Capital, and get information on rules and regs.

Could someone tell me an average cost per chicken to get the blood work done and how do they do it? Then I need to find someone to do it. [​IMG]

Thanks.

2. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    Around here, they will do the NPIP testing at the show before you enter them. You CAN get it done at home and then it's 5 cents per bird or $5 for all birds, whichever is more. (Like I had less than 30 birds and paid $5 outright, a friend has hundreds and gets charged 5 cents per bird. Make sense?)

To do it, they take blood from under their wing with a needle, then check it with this other liquidy purple stuff to make sure all's good. It's quite easy and the birds don't fuss too much.

3. wyliefarms

wyliefarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Fowlerville,MI
    In Michigan when we show up at a fair or poultry show you have to show that they were pullrom(sp?) tested in the last 90 days or they do the test there. 4-H is free and poultry shows are $1/bird. It is what the previous post desribed. When the test is done, be carefull with light colored birds, some are bleeders and you'll want to hold the papertowel good so the blood doesn't get on the feathers.

Sarah

4. ginbart

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Well I am too late for the fair. But I found out I can take a class and then do the blood work myself. I think I am going to do that because there is no one around here to do it. Then maybe I can do it for other people. I guess I'll have to wait another year.

5. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Where can you take a class to learn how to do that?

6. ginbart

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    When I called the office they said the lady was out until Monday. So I don't know yet. I'll keep you updated.

7. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Quote:In Texas, testing by our State Diagnostic Veterinaly Lab is free, no matter how many birds you have....

And they stick them with a pin under the wing to draw a drop of blood. Simple, easy, and quick...

8. ginbart

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    WOW now that sounds easy. I wonder why it's a day long class. They didn't tell me the cost of taking the class or where I need to go to take it. Everything costs In Pennsylvania. It's a wonder they don't charge us to breath. [​IMG]

9. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

There is the NPIP. They send somebody out to test all of your birds over 4 months of age. If they are all clear, you get a NPIP certificate and number. Im going to have that done this fall. Its free here in NY.

10. ginbart

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Quote:Maybe we should move to NY. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by