1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

question on Blue/Black Mottled D'uccles

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by pamperedpoultry, Oct 22, 2009.

1. pamperedpoultry

pamperedpoultry CHICKENFIED

I have 2 black hens and 1 blue hen, I also Have a blue and a black roo. I've been told that I might as well just keep one roo and put them together that they'll be chance of getting either or?? Is this correct?? I know with my Black mottled cochins I've never gotten a blue??

2. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    Black, blue , splash can be breed to gether. here is a chart of the out comes of BBS breedings

Blue X Blue 25 % black , 50 % blue , 25 % splash

Black X blue 50 % black , 50 % blue

splash X black 100 % blue

Splash X splash 100 % splash
    ( hope fullley some one will explian how the gens work, i don't want to use the worng terms)

( sp)

3. pamperedpoultry

Quote:yeah I knew how that worked on the solid colors. I have Blue and Black Mottled.
    I've have my Black Mottled Cochins for almost 2 years and have never gotten anything but a Black so this is why I was thinking what I was told was wrong

4. call ducks

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    i belive it still works with mottled not 100 % sure on that tho, and what color was your cochins breed to

5. pamperedpoultry

The Cochins are all Black mottled

6. call ducks

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    ok so since the roo was black and the hen(s) were black they would be all black mottled i asume, so for the D'uccles i say go with what ever roo you would like and may be keep the other one just in case that is what i would do

7. pamperedpoultry

Thats what I was thinking, I was goin to keep my Blues seperate from my blacks, but someone had told me it wouldn't matter I still would get blues from the blacks, so I was like uhhhh hmmm??

8. call ducks

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    yep sound like i good plan [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by