Question on breed of chicks I got..

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ShireChick, Mar 22, 2015.

1. ShireChick

ShireChick New Egg

Mar 22, 2015
    Berkshire County, MA
    Hi All!
    We are brand new chick parents and we got our chicks at TSC. All 6 are pullets and the woman who helped us said they were barred rock and orps but i'm not so sure? We got 2 of each color.. Does anyone know? The tan colored ones are the smallest. They are super shy and tiny. The black/browns are wicked friendly and growing the fastest.. The whitish ones are the most feisty. LOL. In fact one of them will come out to me and sit on my shoulder while i walk around-we only do it for a few minutes because I don't want her getting cold. :D
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
  2. TaylorHobbyFarms

TaylorHobbyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    I can say with certainty, that none of these are Barred Rocks. If I had to guess, and with all the breeds and at this stage, it is only a guess, I would say a White Leghorn, Gold Laced Wyandotte and maybe a Buff Orpington, but the one that appears yellow, if it has reddish tint, could be a red sex link.

3. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Well, none are barred rocks - they are black to start with, and feather in with barred black and white feathers. The bottom one may be an Orp.

4. in2camo

in2camo Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2015
    Northern Utah
    Here's a pic of my Buff Orpington and Golden Laced Wyandotte. I'd say that's your first and third pic.
    [​IMG]

5. ShireChick

ShireChick New Egg

Mar 22, 2015
    Berkshire County, MA
    Great thanks! It doesn't matter I will love them all as much as any other. When she said barred rocks, I thought.. no no they aren't... but I wasn't sure what they were. [​IMG]

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    The tan ones look like Production Reds or Red Sex-Links. The white ones are probably White Plymouth Rocks or White Leghorns. I don't know what the darkest ones are.

7. thewatsonfarm

thewatsonfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2015
    Orange County, California
    The last one is a buff orpington.

8. ShireChick

ShireChick New Egg

Mar 22, 2015
    Berkshire County, MA
    so ends up i have 2 red sex links, two white leghorns and two black sex links which one is a roo i think ..... or an extremely vocal hen. lol

9. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Thanks for the update!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by