Question on Breeding Silkies.. Is she good for him?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Chickie Mamma, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Chickie Mamma

Chickie Mamma Farmer at Heart

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Hello, I was reading a thread on here about breeding silkies and something was stated that breeding a SQ to a SQ can have "not so SQ" offspring. If someone can help me before I make mistakes I would appreciate it. I have spent alot of money on my breeding pair of white silkies.
    My roo "Tom" is about a year old and has won Best of Breed etc.. He is everything I was looking for in a SQ bird. Small, very dark, walnut comb, heavy feathered feet, full, large crest, very tight wings, excellent toe spacing etc.
    Here are a couple pics of him ...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is the female I bought for him. She has just started laying. Would she be good for him? Her only "minor" flaw is that her crest is big, but not huge. She has tight wings, perfect feet, heavily feathered, she may have a larger beard than him. I just don't want to be disappointed when breeding them. Is there anything else I should look for ? I want some really nice babies from these two [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These pics were taken today, and they were not bathed beforehand, they are a little dirty. Its so hard to keep these white birds clean! [​IMG]
    They are in breeding cages in the basement, and I've noticed Tom trying to breed her [​IMG]

So, any helpful input would be appreciated.. Thanks [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  2. Pyncheon guy

Pyncheon guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2010
    NW Michigan
    I think you have a wonderful start....having two birds that are supposed to be SQ...doesn't mean that they will produce 100% SQ offspring....they may be carrying some defect in their background that may just surface in the next generation....there is a very good chance that they will produce some great chicks....some you can show....some may only be used for breeding....some may be used for just broodies.... also some different bloodlines just don't "click"....when bred together....hatching out some quanity gives you a better chance to be MORE selective.... I keep some birds ONLY for breeding (never will be shown) and others that I use for showing (sometimes for breeding...but not always)....if a bird has a defect that would count her down in a show....but everything else is great...that bird will be used in a breeding pen with a mate that will compensate for her defect.... For example...your female is weak in the middle toe feathering...but the male has nice middle toe feathering....these are the things to look for.... I NEVER will breed two birds together with the same defect or DQ..... I hope this helps? I also have Silkies...along with my Pyncheon Bantams....I think your two look like they will produce some VERY nice ones...but not all.....use your standard and be very selective and cull, cull, cull.....

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  3. Chickie Mamma

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Thank you so much! Very helpful info [​IMG] I am hopeful on these two. I have been very selective and will continue to be [​IMG]

4. jen5680

jen5680 Southside Silkie Shack

Jun 18, 2009
    SW Ohio
    Quote:X 2 [​IMG]

5. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    I agree you have a really good pair there [​IMG] I love your roo

6. Chickie Mamma

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Quote:Thank you [​IMG] He is even more stunning after a bath and foot feather brushing. He is so pampered [​IMG]

7. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I agree. I think you will get some nice chicks out of these 2 birds. Good Luck! [​IMG]

8. Chickie Mamma

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Quote:Thanks [​IMG] Can't wait to get some eggs to fire up my bator!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by