Question on Breeds of 2 week old chicks **UPDATED pics post #10**

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jywel417, Apr 13, 2009.

1. jywel417

jywel417 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2009
    Atlanta
    Hello all !! I am sure everyone is tired of "what kind of chick do I have" posts but I am curious and just not sure what all I managed to get here. I am not posting pictures of all the chicks, a couple of them I think are EE chicks so didn't post those but a few of these others have me stumped. Here are the ones I have questions about. . .

Feather Footed Bantam, possible Partridge Cochin was previous guess

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The little Penguin Looking Bantam, now named Kowalski after one of the penguins in Madagascar. I don't know how well you can tell in the second picture of it's wing but some of the feathers are starting to get a slight brown edge to them. Also he has a rather smooth comb surface with one point/lump at the back of the comb farthest from his beak, is this possibly a rosecomb?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Larger Black Chick, on the pic of it's wing I am not sure if it shows or not but the last feather or two are white. It was thought at first maybe Black Australorp? Do they get white feathers on their wing tips? My other wild guess was maybe some kind of Giant?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one came out of a straight run assorted reds bin. I thought at first maybe it was a RIR or production red, something, but the wing feather coloring is now starting to confuse me. I am still new to chickens tho

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one also came out of the assorted reds bin, it is a bit more blonde tho. I thought at first it's wings were coming in white but they tend to have a blonde tint to them

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And I wasn't going to include this one but I am curious. This one came out of the assorted pullet bin that I got 2 of the EE looking chicks out of, but it does not have the muffs like the others have and I did not know if it would still be considered an EE chick or if it is another breed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any guesses will be greatly appreciated and I am sure that in a few weeks I will be back asking if people think I have pullets or roos on a few more. I am hoping I get lucky and do not end up with so many roos that I have to rehome several. Hope everyone is having a good day !!

Last edited: Apr 17, 2009
  2. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    I don't know about chick #1, but it could be a partridge cochin. That's a pretty good guess. Does it have a pea comb or a single comb?

Chick #2 sounds like it has a rose comb, and I don't have a guess on that one. Not a clue, sorry.

Chick #3 could be an australorp or a jersey giant. Australorps do often feather with a bit of white on their wings that goes away when they're grown up. I think I've heard that giants do that as well. With some of these birds, foot color is a good way to tell the difference, but it's not always accurate with hatchery birds. Australorps will have white on the bottom of their feet, and giants will have yellow.

Chick #4 could be a Rhode Island red. Their wing feathers come in looking like that. I don't know about red sex-links or New Hampshire reds, but it might be one of those too.

Chick #5... I dunno. Probably a sex-link, but the dark red patch on its wing makes me suspect it's a male. I have only had experience with male red sex-links, and they feathered in all white, with a few random red splotches on their wings after they were a few weeks old. But your chick does look more red than mine did - mine were yellowy white when they were new. So maybe it is a female.

Chick #6 is probably a brown leghorn or welsummer. But I'd lean more toward the leghorn, just because they're more common.

All in all, I don't think my guesses have probably helped you much, but maybe they did a little. Your babies are darling. Keep us posted as they grow up, please!

3. melissastraka

melissastraka Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Hoquiam, WA
    chick #1-is some kind of Cochin. The coloring is very different from mine but it may be Partridge.

chick #2- i am unsure of. the legs look green or slate?

chick #3-could be a jersey giant if the legs are black not green.

chick #4-production red...great layers!

chick #5-looks like a buff cross of something. Maybe a sex-link

chick #6-is not an EE. EE's have greenish legs. I would say a brown leghorn also

4. De

De Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Camden,AR
    1 d'uccle ( mille fleur color )
    De

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  5. jywel417

Mar 4, 2009
    Atlanta
    Right now chick #1 looks like it has a single comb, Will post pics of the comb if I can get good ones. Cochin or d'uccle would be awesome and the mille fleur coloring on the d'uccles I think is beautiful. . . I knew that one wanted a home when I went in the TSC the day after buying 9 chicks . . . . figured if I got this one it would make it a nice even 10 new chicks [​IMG]

Chick #2 has slate looking legs at the moment, I don't recall any green tint to them but will look closer in the morning. I just got thru moving my older girls (3 sex links and my 4 uninjured orpingtons) to their new brooding pen and the other chicks into freshly cleaned/disinfected/etc larger brooding boxes and think they are settling down, at least my doberman has gotten used to the fact I moved everyone around so am trying not to get her wound up again [​IMG]

Chick #3 is a VERY dense chick and has gotten considerably larger than the other large fowl chicks. At the moment it has black legs with the middle toe speckling out to a solid yellow . . . I think the bottom of it's feet are yellow but not 100% sure, but I will check again tomorrow.

Chick #5 I had wondered about sex link but i think it is feathering in a little lighter than my other red sex link, so I was thinking if it was a sex link that maybe it was a blonde or a roo.

Chick #6 Question about leghorns, when researching breeds before getting into chicks I had read about leghorns being more standoffish and possibly more aggressive. In your alls experience how do they do in flocks? I know every breed can have aggressive birds and at the moment this little chick is very sweet so here's hoping !

Will keep everyone posted as the kids grow !! All guesses are appreciated SO much !! It really doesn't matter what they grow up to be (unless I end up with too many roos) but I like looking at adult pics of what I might actually have [​IMG]

6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    My guesses:

#3 looks like my black Australorps, both the white splotches (juvenile only) and those dark legs

#4 looks like my RIR's

I'll even guess pullet on the BA.

7. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Quote:That's what I was going to say. It looks like my girls did when they were little, before they got their spots (which took a long time!)

8. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    My brown leghorns are shy with people, but not aggressive. They get along fine in the flock. They come running when I call the birds for treats just like everyone else.

9. jywel417

Mar 4, 2009
    Atlanta
    Okay, I checked again tonight and

Chick #2 does appear to have slate legs, not green and is getting solid looking tan/red feathers in on its chest, tan/black barred looking feathers on its shoulderblade area as well... It is out of the bantam pen, so I am going to try and do a little more online investigating and see if I come up with anything, will take a new pic of it tomorrow or thursday, that way the new feathers will have more time to come in.

Chick#3 def very yellow feet on the bottom and is a very heavy chick

Thanks again !! Chick #1 is starting to get more black looking spots on its feathers too so will def take pics and post new ones tomorrow or Thursday [​IMG]

10. jywel417

Mar 4, 2009
    Atlanta
    Okay, here are a few new pictures of some of the chicks I had questions about previously! Will try and make sure I number them the same.

Chick #1 (mille fleur d'uccle?)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chick #2 (Kowalski, the mystery chick . . . ) Pic # 4 is of his rosecomb? Sorry about the lighting, if I used a flash it drowned the color totally but he has some brown edging to his black wings, some brown barred looking feathers towards his shoulder blades and on his chest he is getting in pure brown feathers. He is out of an assorted bantam bin. And I am just using "he" as generic as I have no idea of the sex of these chicks [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chick #3 Australorp or Jersey Giant? VERY heavy chick, straight run assorted bin, it is a bit larger than the other large fowl chicks I have and it also has black legs with a few yellow toes and the bottoms of its feet are yellow

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Will just include these pics for now, going to try to work on my lighting. . .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by