Question on broody and chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kbbeale, Mar 5, 2009.

1. kbbeale

kbbeale Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2007
    Adkins, Tx
    It's been a long while since I allowed my girls to go broody on me - I'm always so selfish and I steal their eggs! So, I have two seramas that were really wanting to brood, so I let them this time. I estimated this weekend for their eggs to start hatching - go out to gather eggs from other, non-broody hens.......what do I find?

[​IMG]

So......these chicks that are in the nest will be ready to venture out soon, I assume. The nests are a good 2 1/2 feet up off the ground. Should I steal the chicks and put them in my brooder, or ? I guess I have to, since she's still setting the other eggs - right? Now I feel horrible taking her babies. [​IMG]
    But I of course dont want anything bad to happen to the babies.

2. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Bah, they don't eat for at least 3 days, wait a bit. 2 1/2 feet is a bit high, but honestly, chicks do sort of 'poof' down, and really don't hurt themselves, they're just so fuzzy and fluffy and light... you can wait though, hope most hatch, and then move them all down to the ground level.

Have you read this article? http://www.themodernhomestead.us/article/Broody-Hens-1.html Not pertinent to your situation now, just interesting.

3. Country Guy John

Country Guy John Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    South Carolina
    Mama have been doing a great job for ages without our help. However, you may want to set up a nest on the ground level once they venture out.

4. kbbeale

kbbeale Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2007
    Adkins, Tx
    Thanks for the info. They're in a coop with 14 other hens and 3 roosters - there's plenty of room for everyone.....once the babies venture out, will they be safe with the rest of the flock too? I feel like such a newbie right now, even though we've had chickens for YEARS ! LOL

5. CarlaRiggs

CarlaRiggs Chillin' With My Peeps

With that many other chickens in the coop, I'd think about moving Mama out with her babies, nest and all. [​IMG] If that's not possible, put in a few areas within the coop to which the chicks can skedaddle to get away from any grumpy hens or roosters. They'll soon learn to hide under Mama or the little niches you set up for them.

Carla

6. Ducklove334

Ducklove334 Off to another pond

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    Momma will beat the crap outta anyone who gets too close that she thinks will hurt her babies [​IMG]

cute little babies, we have a broody hen who started setting on the first, her eggs if they hatch, are due to hatch the 22nd [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by