Question on broody goose

Mar 2, 2019
Hello,

New member to the site but it's always been a great resource for researching advice. Hoping someone has some tips for me now.

I have raised ducks for many years but I am new to geese, and one of my pair of young Brown African geese, Lucy-Goosey, seems to have become broody and is sitting on eggs while her gander, Ryan Gosling, stands guard. Problem is, nighttime temps are going to be in the teens at the highest for at least another few weeks. There's a few zeroes in the forecast for this coming week as well, so it suffices to say it is plenty cold. Am I right in thinking that there is no way she hatches anything in these temps, no matter how good a sitter she is?

I really want to hatch some geese this year though. Can anyone tell me, will she go broody again this summer at all, or am I out of luck? I really have no idea what kind of cycles geese run on, or what I could do to encourage her to sit again once spring comes.

Any advice or info would be helpful.

Thanks!

Welcome to BYC. Do you know when she started setting ? At day 7 or so candle a couple of eggs to check for viability. She may very well be successful in hatching as long as eggs were not excessively chilled prior to her brooding. I would not let her set beyond 30 days or so if not successful. Remove the eggs at that point and she may very well set a second clutch. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom