1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question on broody hens.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Kung Foo Chicken, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Kung Foo Chicken

Kung Foo Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Do hens usually just go all out go broody? One of my hens Buff Orp/Leghorn mix would go lay and started getting testy while sitting on the nest. Me thinking she was broody kept sticking eggs under her. Well she would sit a day and wander off the next. After a week or so of doing this she sat down hard and refuses to move. I put new eggs under her.

That's the question. Do they kinda build up to being broody? I had called her the schizophrenic broody for a week but, now she seems to really want to do it.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2009
  2. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    This is not uncommon at all. I actually have a Buff Orp and a Blk Aust. Mix that are going through this stage as I type this. One day they sit on the nest all day and the next day they are out walking around although still making the mother hen cluck. The Orp will sit steadfast shortly (she did last year) and I am not sure about the Blk Aust. Mix this is her first attempt at motherhood she just turned 11 months.

3. Kung Foo Chicken

Kung Foo Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks so much. It has been a while since I have had a broody.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by