Question on building automatic turner

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Sammysmom, May 2, 2009.

1. Sammysmom

Sammysmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2008
    Saint Johns, AZ
    DH is wanting to build a cabinet incubator.[​IMG] He was wondering how to build an automatic turner like the ones in the Sportsman 'bators. If anyone has any pics of the turner/timer setup, he would be able to figure it out from there. Also, do they run continuously or do they move and shut off for a specific period of time and then turn on again to move to a new position?[​IMG]

2. chookmadhubby

chookmadhubby Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2009
    Lobethal
  3. Dirt Road

Dirt Road Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2008
    Southern Idaho
    Quote:Trev, Your turner appears extremely well done! You must have a gift for things mechanical. I don't want to hi-jack this thread, but am wondering where you got the electronics for your machine?

Jim

4. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    Quote:Hubby it is guys just like you that ruin it for all of us LOL. That is awesome work. I sure hope it works as good as it looks. Very nice. To OP the sportsman turns every two hours or so. But slow constant turning is ok as well. There is a timer motor and a turner motor for lack of better description.

5. chookmadhubby

chookmadhubby Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2009
    Lobethal
    Hi Jim.
    The thermostat was designed and developed by a fellow enthusiast in australia, the timer for the turner I designed myself based on the same microprocessor used in the thermostat.

Great horse, its only the fourth incubator attempt over a year and a half, lots of learning and improvements along the way.

trev

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by