Question on buildings duck pond

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by SwedishDude99, Oct 20, 2013.

1. SwedishDude99

SwedishDude99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2013
    El Dorado County, Ca
    Hi everyone! I have a 15 ft by 15 ft side yard that will be fenced off for my two ducks. They will live back there all the time, but I may let them have reign of the yard once in a while. Anyway, I wanted to transform the side yard into a natural looking habitat with plants and also a in - ground pond. The pond will have no fish or plants in it, so I was wondering how much filtration will be needed for it. Also, what do you think he minimum size should be for a pond in that area? I want to make it as big as possible, but still give the ducks plenty of room to roam on land. Thankyou all! :D

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    What breed of ducks do you have?

Natural habitats look nice but they are extremely hard to keep up with. The ducks will dirty up the pond within hours and kill off most plants that you put in their pen.

3. SwedishDude99

Aug 20, 2013
    El Dorado County, Ca
    I have a blue swedish and black swedish. The current setup I have for them I really hate looking at, and am ok with the extra work it will require. I understand they will try to eat e plants, but I have large, fully established plants in there so the two ducks will not ruin them. They also have a good amount of room to roam and many plants so I think it will be ok.

4. SwedishDude99

Aug 20, 2013
    El Dorado County, Ca
    Ok I also have another question. Do duck ponds require a pump and filtration system? Can you simply empty it every week? I am ok with a pump and filter, but if I can do without it I would like to. Thanks. And I have decided that I am getting a pre- fab 125 gallon pond for them. And my understanding is that the pond filter is to eliminate waste products and algae in the pond and the pump is for circulating water, powering the filtration system, and connecting accessories such as waterfalls and fountains to? Please correct me if I'm wrong, I am just trying to figure all of this stuff out here. Thanks! :D

5. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    If you're willing to replant every so often it's certainly possibly to keep a "Natural" looking habitat going.
    You'd be better off just emptying it on your own. I've gone through several different pumps with the ducks but they've always gotten clogged up with duck poop.

6. SwedishDude99

Aug 20, 2013
    El Dorado County, Ca
    Alright that sounds good. thankyou,

7. thomasboyle

thomasboyle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Northwest Hills of CT
    The issue you are going to have is the amount of mud the ducks dump into the pond. I have a 100 gallon pool for my ducks, and in 1-2 days, they introduce a 1/2 inch of mud to the pool. A filter will have a hard time trying to keep the water clean, and the filter would have to be cleaned daily and replaced regularly. If you are OK with muddy water, then emptying the pond out on a regular basis is OK. I would still have a pump / waterfall to keep the water moving, to keep mosquitos and other bugs from taking residence in stagnant water.

If you are lucky, your yard is sloped, so you can have a pipe from a drain in the bottom of the pond take the waste water downhill, out of the yard. On a positive note, duck water is a very good way to water a garden!

8. SwedishDude99

Aug 20, 2013
    El Dorado County, Ca
    Yeah I'm fine emptying it regularly. I don't have a sloped yard, but I do have green belt behind my house where I can empty the water into through a hose. The more I've been reading, e more I'm leaning towards this option. Thankyou!

9. mikeru

mikeru Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2013
    You can purchase a pond shell from home depot 95 gallon and create a deck ftor submerge in
    the ground

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by