Question on call duck eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chickenaddict, May 18, 2010.

1. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    I have a chocolate hen who has been adding to her nest for 9 days now, the past 4 days she sleeps on the eggs in her nest but come morning she hits the ground running and stays outside alll day. I have never hatched duck eggs before but I know they take 28 days to incubate. I am guessing that these little ojnes developed a bit while she had been sitting on them during the night but then get cold when she is off the nest all day. Is this the way ducks do things or do I have one confused hen on my hands here? She has 9 eggs in the nest and has been acting like she is gonna go broody since there were only about 4-5 eggs in the nest. I am afraid these little eggs are a lost cause now am I right?

ETA: correction she only has 8 eggs there, thought she had laid another this morning but she must have stopped.

Last edited: May 18, 2010
  2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

I have a couple who do this also. I just leave them alone and sooner or later they stop getting off the nest. I have even had the girls suddenly decide to sleep in the coop for a night then go back to their nests - she hatched 8 ducklings [​IMG]

3. BeccaOH

BeccaOH Morning Gem Farm

Oct 3, 2008
    east central Ohio
    The eggs are probably fine. My white call made a nest, but I see her off it quite often. My pastels (3 hens) each created a nest side by side (last count 22 total) and haven't left it but one brief time that I've noticed. I want to candle those, but I hate to disturb them.

4. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Thanks guys [​IMG] The day I posted this thread was the day she stopped getting off the nest. We lost one egg seems she stepped on it and put a hole in the shell when she was getting situated so now she has 7 and all is well with her, her soul mate however is lost without her [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by