1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question on Call Ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Wild Chicken, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Wild Chicken

Wild Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    West Michigan
    I have the chance to purchase chocolate call ducks that are 3 years old. I know nothing about ducks and this will be my first experience. Are ducks like chickens....meaning, if I want fertile eggs, are ducks still "viable"...good breeders at 3?

I appreciate the advice as always [​IMG]

2. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    They should still lay fertile eggs at three years. I would definetly get them, they will probably start slowing down in a couple years though [​IMG]

3. Wild Chicken

Jun 1, 2008
    West Michigan
    Is $60 for a male and 3 females reasonable? She also has pastels, greys, and snowys also that she is selling for $35/pair......reasonable? She says that the chocolates are very good breeders!! And I just want to make sure that I have one good year out of them so I can hatch ducklings from them this year......

Thanks so much for the quick response!!

4. 1lpoock

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    They should be alright, did she say why she was getting rid of them? And yes that's a good price if they are good quality. I would probably buy some other pairs too.

5. Wild Chicken

Jun 1, 2008
    West Michigan
    I just starting corresponding with her, and that was my first question for her!! I haven't heard back yet. I am really having a hard time deciding amongst the other colors!! They are all so beautiful. She also has a blue bibbed pair...[​IMG] Such decisions.

I am just now checking out your website.....nice [​IMG]

Besides this site, can you recommend any other sources for info on ducks? This is our first time with ducks and I am soooo excited [​IMG] to be getting a few pairs. Is there anything else I should be looking for or asking, aside from the obvious health of the birds, etc.

I can hardly wait, but I don't want to be hasty [​IMG]

Thanks!!

6. 1lpoock

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    I'll find some other sites for you tomorrow as well as other info you should know. Thanks for the compliments about my site!

7. briarpatchfarms

briarpatchfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Grayson, Ky
    They should breed well past 6 years... also you should take into consideration what varieties are exepted in the standards... and what will have the better type
    heres your top typiest colors in order

Gray
    White
    Pastel
    Butterscotch
    Blue Fawn
    Snowy

These are your somewhat least typiest but you will find some of very few really good bloodlines that are typie
    Blues
    Chocolate
    Black
    Silver
    Khaki
    Buff
    And other rare varieties!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by