Question on Candling Chicken Eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by morninggloryhatchery, May 21, 2010.

1. morninggloryhatchery

morninggloryhatchery Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2009
    Wasilla
    Hi!
    So My eggs in the incubator are going onto day 4[​IMG] and I saw on another post on day 5 you can usually see the eye of the chick developing.
    So when I candle them on day 5 are the eggs along far enough in the incubation period to throw the clear ones or quitters out? Around what day can you be positive?

Any info on candling would be great!
    Thanks!
    [​IMG]

2. tammyd57

tammyd57 Chillin' With My Peeps

silkiechicken has a GREAT candling thread here that shows what to look for on each day.

3. MiniBeesKnees

MiniBeesKnees Chillin' With My Peeps

I have the same question, and I'm almost at the same time in my hatch...right now I'm four and a half days into it.
    I looked at the candling pictures...but have the same question. If I don't see the veins in some when can I get rid of the duds?
    I think I'd give them a few more days since I may not see the veins and eye (?) due to being new at candling...
    But if they are clear on say day ten...can I pitch them?

4. Fuffy

Fuffy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Jersey, GB
    I did my first ever candling today at day 8.

I didn't see any veins at all...Not even one!

But I did see a kind of shaddow that seemed more silid than a yolk. When I compared to an fresh unfertilized egg, I decided that it was deffinately different!

So I have ordered a new, stronger light, and we'll see what next week brings.

[​IMG]
    Cream Legbar, day 8

[​IMG]
    Buff Sussex Day 8

[​IMG]
    Infertile legbar cross

Good luck with your New Babies [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. calicokat

calicokat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    azalia, indiana
    When you are new to candling and unsure, I'd say don't throw anything out yet -- it's only day 5 or 8 - you'd hate to make a mistake! It should become easier to tell as you do it a few more times, and as the little chick develops (or not).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by