question on candling?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mycountrycabin, May 16, 2008.

1. mycountrycabin

mycountrycabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    rockingham,N.C.
    when i candle my eggs what exactly am i looking for?

2. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    What day you candling on? I candled day 4 and saw nothing. On day 10, you can see soooo much. Veins, which look like little red lines running throughout the egg... little black chickens (they move!). By day 14, you can see feathers, feet, the whole works, and they move and kick. Is amazing!!! Yes, this is my first hatch, and I was just awed when I candled on day 10!

3. mycountrycabin

Mar 29, 2008
    rockingham,N.C.
    it is day 15, what wattage bulb r u using?and if u have green eggs will you be able to see through it?

4. farmer_fred

farmer_fred Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2008
    I have turky eggs in the bator, the larger part is up, but out of all of them, 6 are just as bright as the day they were put in, the rest are dark and the air bubble shines. I use a basic flashlight, but I could use a 12 lamb LED flashlight that is much brighter for the job. all of my eggs are due next thursday to hatch, so I am researching when to take the eggs out of the egg turner and just sit on the wire mesh to leave alone until hatching day.

5. mycountrycabin

Mar 29, 2008
    rockingham,N.C.
    ive read that you take them out of the turner 3 days before hatch date

6. Peeps

Peeps Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2008
    I have all green eggs and 2 dark welsummer eggs. I just got a 3 watt 80 lumens flashlight from walmart for 24.00.( rayovac outdoorsman) I can see right in the green eggs and the dark brn eggs! They also have a 45 lumens, be sure to get the 80. It's small like a mini mag light and runs on aa batteries (included).

7. mycountrycabin

Mar 29, 2008
    rockingham,N.C.
    ok i will try that

8. yotetrapper

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    I use a 75 watt household light bulb inside a coffee can with a hole cut in the lid, and then the lid taped over with black tape, to candle.

9. farmer_fred

farmer_fred Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2008
    OK, 3 days, due next thursday on 5-22 - 3 =5-19, do it monday morning off with the auto egg turner, OK, I can do that with the turkey eggs. oh, as backup plan, I do have a turkey sitting on eggs, but she only got to keep about 5- 6 eggs, and they should hatch about a week later.

10. yotetrapper

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    I'm not sure just how technical it is, but I heard you take the turner out the NIGHT of 3 days before hatch. With chickens, it's 21 days... turner would come out the night of the 18th. Hope that helps!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by