Question on candling

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Emmet Mcknight, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Emmet Mcknight

Emmet Mcknight Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2014
    Derry, Ireland
    I'm incubating my 4th set of eggs but its the first time using my new Brinsea Oct 20 advanced. Today is day 6 and I've just candled 8 Pekin eggs (I know you candle day 7 but I've added another 6 dutch bantam eggs today, I will remove the Pekin eggs to another incubator for the last 3 days)

Question is.... there are veins showing on 7 of the eggs but I can only see one heart out of the 7, veins are coming down from the air sack all round, doesn't look like a blood ring, I'm not sure if its the way the eggs are sitting in the new incubator that's preventing me from seeing hearts in them all? They are set point down, in my other incubators they were set on there side and turned via a rolling motion and I could see hearts clearly when candling.

I'm confused!

2. bamachicks8

bamachicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

You could use a stethoscope to listen for heartbeat.

3. Emmet Mcknight

Nov 28, 2014
    Derry, Ireland
    At what stage would you hear a beat?

4. bamachicks8

bamachicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm not sure when the heart actually starts beating but I know its early. You would be able to hear them by now.

5. Emmet Mcknight

Nov 28, 2014
    Derry, Ireland
    OK, I'll try that.

6. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    As long as you're seeing developing veins and no blood rings at this stage, I'd be satisfied with that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by