question on chick shoes

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by txmel, Aug 8, 2010.

1. txmel

txmel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2010
    boerne, tx
    does anyone know will the chick shoes work to straighten out the toes of a chick if the chick isn't putting their weight on them. the chick that has the shoes on, her toes were twisted enough that she wasn't walking on them but on her legs. (that's the best way i can describe it) with the chick shoes on she couldn't right herself she would tip over on to her side and just kick and kick until she was to tired to do anything, then she would just lay there. so i put her in a "chair" so her feet touch the ground but she really isn't putting weight on them she keeps pulling her legs up and just kind of rest like that. she has food and water within reach in cup in front of her.
    will this work? I'm thinking that once her toes straighten out that she will be better able to walk but she can't seem to walk with the shoes on.
    anyone have any other ideas that might work better if this wont?
    thanks

2. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Hoping this works for you...

3. suburbanminifarm

suburbanminifarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    N.San Diego County
    I believe they will still straighten even without the chick bearing weight on them. Be cautious that the treatment doesn't stress the chick so much that it stops eating and drinking-- if so give him a break and try again in a couple days. Just my opinion, but I have "shod" a ton of chicks.... good luck!

4. txmel

txmel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2010
    boerne, tx
    Quote:thanks i have been working real hard at not stressing this little one too much have been giving her water ever so often and vitamins 2 times a day and food when she will take it. she is so tiny compared to her other hatch mates. i'm hoping she pulls through [​IMG] i'll keep them on her tonight and see how she is in the morning. she has had them on since last night so hopefully this will be all she needs to get them straight. i did take her out of the chick chair she didn't seem to be doing ok in it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by