Question on chicken coops & runs in Tulsa city limits

cataddict

Hatching
7 Years
Jan 20, 2013
I got really excited about having backyard chickens when I learned I could do so within the Tulsa city limits. However, I wanted to make sure I was following the ordinance properly, so I contacted the Animal Welfare office. When I spoke to them, I found out that not only do I have to put screening (such as on a house window) around every square inch of the coop and run, but I also must make the floor of the run something that is "easily cleanable," such as cement. I inquired about a portable run, because I'd like the ladies to be able to be moved around the yard while not in their coop, and I was told that wouldn't be possible because, once again, the floor would have to be cement or something else that cleans up easily. I am not in an AG area of the city limits, but I have read information from others in Tulsa, and there has never been a mention of the screening or the cement floor. While I understand the need to keep their permanent coop and run clean, I don't understand why they should be made to live on nothing but cement floors for their entire life...it just seems cruel! Any other Tulsans out there who can tell me if they've had any issues about this?

How much more cleanable than a floor that gets changed every time you move the tractor?

As far as the specifics of the design and construction of the coop is concerned, something in writing from the pertinent ordinance that requires all this mesh would be helpful.

If you read about the many different ways coops and runs are constructed, you will soon see that there are many ways to have something easy to clean without involving concrete. I would consider concrete to be difficult to clean, what with all the pores and cracks.

I have had many experiences when I was told that something was so, only to find that there was nothing written or something else written. Relying upon the interpretation of others is nice, but won't hold up in the long run.

If there is an ordinance, there is a written version of it. Get it and have the facts.

Chris

Tulsa has way to many laws! Some will be up to your neighbors, whether or not they complain.

My oldest girl does animal rescue, (Rat Terriers) she called me "can I bring you a rooster?" "they are going to put it down" so I let her bring him here. He was found running the streets in Tulsa, chased down and put in a small cage between 2 big dogs. Poor gangsta boy was terrified, now they want to know, will I take others as they take them from folks in Tulsa all the time. I have told them I will take them. They may end up as dinner, or re-homed, or even in my flock, but no need to destroy them! So I have a 7-9 month old RIR Roo to re-home or, he is calming down nicely, he will almost come get a treat from my fingers now.

Tulsa does not want the poo on the ground in the trash, or in the public sewer.
Good luck (and do read any/all ordnance/s for your self)

I agree with Chris, if you were to call back and speak with someone else, you very well could get a different answer. If you were to do a Google search for "Tulsa chicken ordinance", you will likely be presented with the actual ordinances if there are any on the books from a .org or .gov site.

Good luck

Bob
Sac chicken

Back
Top Bottom