Question on chicken droppings

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Mom4, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Mom4

Mom4 New Egg

Mar 23, 2009
    When my chickens go to the bathroom sometimes it sticks to their fluff. After a while I notice that they have a large amount of droppings that has hardened to their rear. I try to wipe it off, but it is too hard. I ended up putting them in a small container of water and it softened and I was able to get it off. Is this normal?

2. MissCluck

MissCluck Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm sure others with lots of experience can help (or correct me if I am wrong here [​IMG]) but I have one chick with this.

It seems to be "pasted vent", which sometimes occurs if the chicks get chilled.

You want to remove the hardened poopers but you don't want to chill the chick further. Some folks here - when I did a search of the forum - held the chick under the heat lamp when they did the removal procedure. Others picked at it while it was hard.

I did a combo this morning for my little girl. According to my books it can be fatal if the vent is not kept open.

Edited to add: I assume that you have little chicks here - the treatment is slightly different with adult chickens and is a different condition.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
  3. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    It's called pasty butt and you need to inspect your chicks daily at least to make sure you get it off. Holding their hiney under warm running water or soaking in a container of warm water until it softens up enough to be peeled off works. Don't worry i fyou take off some of their fuzz.

Towel them off and make sure they stay warm until they are completely dry. A hair dryer on medium used carefully can help them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by