Question on chicken... relationships???? PLEASE HELP! NOT SURE WHAT TO DO

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by sillychicks123, Jul 31, 2013.

1. sillychicks123

sillychicks123 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2013
    I was wondering, I have four chickens, all are two months old, and one of my chickens seems to be a roo. Him and one of my hens seem to be good friends, and follow each other around the coop/run and love to sunbathe together. Sadly, I cant have roosters where I live, so I will have to re-home him. What I was wondering though, is if chickens can get over separations quickly. What I mean is, if I were to give away my roo, will my hen and my roo not get over it? Will they keep squawking until they are brought back together? or will they get over it quickly. I may give them both away together, but I am not really willing to because that hen is my most beautiful/friendly one of the flock! if I were to get her a new friend, will she take to it? Im torn on what to do. I dont want to give either one of them up, but I have no choice. [​IMG]

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I predict that she will adjust well, as will he. You will be left with 3 hens or pullets. she already knows the other 2. If you do get an other bird to replace the rooster, I'd recommend getting 2, as it's hard to bring a single bird into an existing flock. So, if I were you, I'd settle for 3, or end up with 5.

1 person likes this.
  3. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    x2

4. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I predict that she will adjust well, as will he.  You will be left with 3 hens or pullets.  she already knows the other 2.  If you do get an other bird to replace the rooster, I'd recommend getting 2, as it's hard to bring a single bird into an existing flock.  So, if I were you, I'd settle for 3, or end up with 5.

Agreed. Your hen may seem a little lost at first while they reestablish their pecking order, but she'll be just fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by