Question on Chicks and Brooder Box...(2 questions)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Ekagj, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Ekagj

Ekagj Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2013
    1st question: So I have 17 chicks between 8 and 9 weeks old. Our brooder box is getting to small for them all. Most of them have all their feathers except about 7 of them. I'm thinking its due not having enough room? I really don't want to put half of them out and not the other half unless I have to. The coldest night we have had is 19 degrees. We are new to chickens and can use any help we can get! All my copper merans wings cover for the most part their back, but my little leg bars (3) don't have their back feathers yet and their wings do not cover their back. With the merans not having feathers, but back covered can I put them out with the rest of my chickens or wait?

2nd question: I have 2 chicks (4 weeks old) if I put the merans out and leave the leg bars in (until they get their feathers) can I put my 2 4 weeks old chicks in with the 3 leg bars?

2. ashl768

ashl768 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2013
    I'm interested in people's response, I too have 17 chicks and I'm wondering when they can go outside... Were in MO and that's about the temp at night here...

3. Ekagj

Ekagj Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2013
    bump..

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Once your chicks are fully feathered they should be able to stay outside and keep themselves warm, but it's important that you gradually expose them to colder temperatures and not plunge them into the cold directly from a warm brooder. Have you turned the brooder heat off? That is where I start with mine. I turn the light off during the day when they are around 4 weeks old and only keep it on in the evenings and nights. Once they are O.K. with that I start putting them outside in a chick pen during the day and bring them in when it gets dark. I do this for around 2 weeks, depending on the outside temperatures. After that I leave them outside 24 hours a day and they are fine.

I think you can start putting your Marans outside, if they were in an unheated brooder, but leave the Legbars in until they got their feathers. Feed them some extra high protein food like scrambled eggs to help promote feather feather growth. A little unfiltered ACV (apple cider vinegar) in their water will help them too (ratio is roughly 4-5 tablespoons ACV to a gallon water). You can put them in with the 2 smaller chicks, or vice versa as long as their size difference is not too huge. Chicks are not aggressive like older chickens and usually get along fine. As long as the smaller ones don't get pushed around too much or trampled they should be fine.

5. Ekagj

Ekagj Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2013
    Thanks! We just got our new coop built now all we need is the 3 roosters to get their feathers! haha

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by