question on chicks and coop ramps.

Teresaann24

Songster
11 Years
Jul 29, 2008
Eastern, Kentucky
my chicks ages 10 weeks to about 4 months i put into there new runs and chicken coop. There are ramps for the chicks to enter into the coop but not out its about 6inches off the ground the door is. my question being once the chicks adjust and learn how to get into the coop will they be able to jump up on the door to get out?

they havent understood yet the ramp leads into the coop they go up the ramp but not inside will they adapt?

I don't really know the answer but it took mine a couple of days to figure out the ramps up into the top part of the a-frame coop we have them in. Now they just go right up at night with no prompting.

I figured it would take awhile to figure out how to get up into the coop. They where checking out the ramp going up to it to the door but never went into it. I didnt even think about it till after I had everything fixed that its about 6 inches deep or less so they would have to jump off the ramp into the coop and then to get out they would have to jump back out. I know they can jump pretty high and jump down pretty far but I just dont know if they will do this. Maybe if not ill have to end up filling the coop full of hay up to the door.

Teresaann24 -

Not to worry, they will figure it out.

You may have to show them what the ramp is for. Take the lead bird and put him/her on the ramp and see if you can coax him/her to walk up and down...

The first time I put my girls in their coop/run, I sprinkled some feed up the ramp. That seemed to help. The only problem with that is I found ants all over the ramp later in the day and had to brush off the feed.

But, my lead girl showed the rest what the ramp was for as she pecked up the food and then monkey-see-monkey-do...

You have to keep in mind, birds are skidish and may take some time to get use to something new in their run.

Check out my post called, My Girls and Bed Time... You'll see what I went through regarding bed time, the ramp and the poop door.

My girls are 12-13 weeks only and they have only been their run 5 days.

They will figure it out, but it will make you crazy until they do.
frow.gif

I agree with Ladysonja. You may need to show them. I put a little of their favorite treats on the ramp and in the coop. First one decided to check it out and before you know it, it was follow the leader.

Thanks for the advice! Ill keep this in mind today while I add a ramp into the inside. I think it may be too far of a jump down into the coop for them to be ok with it so I figured id add a ramp from the inside out. and then Ill start throwing in so treats to show them everything is ok. I was just hoping they would go inside before the rain came this afternoon. I got up early this morning to see where they roosted lastnight seems they slept right on the ramp at the door but didnt go inside..LOL

I added the inside ramps everything is done now..LOL tried the treats they still just go to the door of the coop and no further. I am hoping they go inside when the rain comes!!!

Also to one of the inside ramps I had to add some thin chick wire to keep them from slipping on the ramp the type of wood was real slick so I hope that helps the chicks climd up and down.

Last edited:
i got some white rocks, barred rocks, black stars and golden buff orps that are almost 3 weeks old that i am letting out the coop every evening that have found the ramp to the coop and go in on their own evey night. Sure i watch them, but i have yet had to corral them up or anything. I was truly amazed. they should get it on their own, but i don't no anything either so don't go off of my advice!! But they seem to adapt well. My Black Lab even will lay there and let them walk up to her. she looks like she wants to grab one, but just to play with them. i duck hunt with her so i know what her instinct is, but she minds well and knows not to touch daddy's peeps. We are bracing for FAY!!!

Back
Top Bottom