Question on Cochins and Red sex link

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Chik-N-Crazy, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Chik-N-Crazy

Chik-N-Crazy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2009
    Currie, NC
    I just had my first set of eggs to hatch. They will all be mutts, but for eggs who cares! So I have a standard white cochin (not mixed) with a roo that I think is a RIR mix. Would those chicks have any feathering on the feet since that's what the mom is, or is that some type of trait that could not be reproduced w/o a cochin roo? It really makes no difference at all to me, it's just fun conversation trying to figure out from looking at the chicks, who the mom may be.
    Also, from my other roo that I think is a pheonix mix, he has a hen with him that is a red sex link (for sure). What is the rule about her colors? Doesn't red sex link mean a RIR roo w/ a barred rock hen? I know that coloring is supposed to be for one generation only, so could she realistically have babies with the barred coloring or red colors?
    I know this is confusing!!!!! But it's fun to see these little chicks and try to guess who the mom is! My hens are pure breeds but my roos are not. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by