Question on Color and hopefully Gender but the picture could be wrong

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Rachelj07, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Rachelj07

Rachelj07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2009
    Hello! I have a coloring question on my silkie, as pictured below. It is white with partridge though-out it in almost specks. Some of the specks are growing and covering more area. I'm wondering if as they grow they will become partridge colored? Is this something that happens, they get "speckled" like this? I have two who look like this. Also, it's a bad picture for this, but is it possible to tell if they are hens or roos? They are, at my best guess 3 month of age give or take, they are about the same size as my year and a half old hen only they were hatched this year. They have none, what so ever, appearance of combs or wattles.

Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. leahthor

leahthor Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2010
    Northwestern Alberta
    I don't know the correct colour for the silkies except its not partridge. Hopefully the silkie people will come and tell you exactly what it is but they are gorgeous! I am in love with that colour where did you get them? I wonder if that is what people are calling porcelain?

3. Rachelj07

Jun 15, 2009
    Partridge Showgirl and White Silkie Hen. I've never seen a porcelain before. I guess well I am trying to keep my line of colors for silkies very diverse, some of each color, but I didn't think I'd come up with a color I hadn't seen or knew about. They are absouletly wonderfully colored. Makes me think of a splash but partridge color instead of blue

4. leahthor

Jun 24, 2010
    Northwestern Alberta
    I found this link and there is a photo near the bottom of page 1 that shows what that poster is calling a porcelain. I tell ya, if it wasn't getting close to winter up here in Northern Alberta I would drive down to wherever you are and chicknap those cuties! Dang, another colour I have to put on my wanted list!

Oops guess you need the link! https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=274169&p=1

Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
  5. Rachelj07

Jun 15, 2009
    I'm only in MI! [​IMG]

Dang I can't get the pictures from the link as they are photobucket! [​IMG] I'll have to search the net for them now.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
  6. SilkieTime

SilkieTime Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Joelton Tn.
    Cool, I have almost the same thing. No showgirls here. I have one partridge or blue partridge hen that I put in with my white pen because I don't have a partridge rooster.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Rachelj07

Jun 15, 2009
    I am no longer breeding my showgirl as that's all I was getting!! I recently accuired a blue rooster. I love the coloring on yours! The little chicks in the bottom picture look so fluffy and greyish blue! So very pretty, I want one [​IMG] I have one chick who looked dark grey as a chick, then I thought was going partridge due to the wings, but now looking at it, I'm just not so sure if it's going to be an odd color, I'll have to try to get a picture. Below is my newest addition, my rooster I got that is blue. I don't think I ever would have thought this color as blue, because to me I don't see much blue. [​IMG]

I think I could get along well with you, discussing my silkie addiction [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. SilkieTime

SilkieTime Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Joelton Tn.
    That one looks splash. I have a splash pen with a splash rooster but getting all washed out splash in there. I'm going to sale he and getting a light blue rooster this weekend at the show.
    [​IMG]

9. leahthor

Jun 24, 2010
    Northwestern Alberta
    Quote:Scroll down, there is another poster (not the OP) that has photos of hers.

10. Rachelj07

Jun 15, 2009
    Oh I want him! [​IMG] I wish I lived closer! Splash or Blue I'll take either [​IMG] I never knew you can have a washed out splash!? That's interesting to know, I guess they just have more white then blue?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by