Question on color patterns and genetics

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the SOP' started by Maiahr, Nov 9, 2019.

1. Maiahr

Maiahr Songster

Hello everyone,
    I have been trying to identify the (cross-)breed of this chick (16 days old) and so I have some general questions about the color patterns of breeds.
    I started with her back and it is 'wild type stripe' or at least I was told this is how it is called. Cannot be seen well on these pictures but it is. So it has e+ gene, I think. So I could not find a list of breeds that have this gene.
    Then.. I was looking into wing color patters and cannot identify it... it looks more like Crele, but I am not sure. Could 'wild type stripey' backs have Crele wing pattern? My next step was going to be the comb. My goal is to reduce the list of possible breeds as mush as possible and I need directions how to proceed.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/attachments/img_20191108_112154-jpg.1954301/
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/attachments/img_20191108_112137-jpg.1954302/
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/attachments/img_20191108_112118-jpg.1954303/
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/attachments/img_20191108_112057-jpg.1954304/
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/attachments/img_20191108_112041-jpg.1954305/

Texas Kiki likes this.
  2. The Moonshiner

The Moonshiner Professional Chicken Tender

Nov 17, 2016
    Missouri
    I didn't look at the pics because I know how almost impossible it is to figure out what breed or breeds are involved in a "stripey" chick down pattern.
    Anyways e+ wild type isn't the only pattern with stripes. So is partridge and wheaton.
    True crele is actually barring on e+.
    You can disregard the barring look on the wings. e+ and others will have that look as chicks but will lose it later when their mature feathers start coming in.
    That is true about a few things. A lot of patterns change from chick stage to adult stage so when searching search pics of birds the same age as yours. Don't try to match a chick pattern to an adult plumage in many cases.

3. MysteryChicken

MysteryChicken Crowing

May 31, 2018
    East, Tawas Michigan
    The white tipping on the feathers are common in Rhode Island Reds, & other Mahogany type breeds. The pattern is looking a bit like a red partridge, but not 100% sure, I'll have to do some digging around.

Cedar Creek Farm Lady and Maiahr like this.
  4. Kiki

Kiki Quail Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    I don't know why the pictures aren't showing up.
    Here is one of them:
    Screenshot_20191109-084826.png

5. MysteryChicken

MysteryChicken Crowing

May 31, 2018
    East, Tawas Michigan
    I did some digging, & it looks like a Rhodebar, pullet. They can have the white tipping, & chipmunk down. They're a cross between a Barred Rock, & Rhode Island Red.

Cedar Creek Farm Lady and Maiahr like this.
  6. The Moonshiner

Nov 17, 2016
    Missouri
    It's not a rhodebar chick. I worked with them for a few years.
    Rhodebars were created by crossing RIRs with Brussbars. Brussbars were an autosexing breed created from brown Sussex and Barred Rocks.
    The key to Rhodebars autosexing is the e+ wild type and barring. Neither RIRs nor BRs have the e+ so it won't work by simply crossing the two.

7. Maiahr

Maiahr Songster

Just a clarification.. Barred Rock shows on the Internet as Plymouth Rock, i.e. the same? I read both RIR and Plymouth Rock are calm and indeed the 3 chicken that I have with identical colouring are the calmiest of all, and yes, they are all pullets, which leads me to think that there is some auto sexing involved. Is there a list somewhere of all the breeds that have the e+?

8. The Moonshiner

Nov 17, 2016
    Missouri
    Barred rock are barred Plymouth rocks.
    Plymouth rock being the breed and Barred being the color/pattern.
    Plymouth rocks do come in other colors besides barred.
    RIR and Plymouth rocks do not look anything like one another. Neither are autosexing breeds although both have some indicators of sex as hatchlings. If you know what to look for you can usually get the sex right on about 80% or so of them but not 100% like autosexing breeds.

Cedar Creek Farm Lady likes this.
  9. Cedar Creek Farm Lady

Cedar Creek Farm Lady Crowing

Oct 12, 2019
    Eastern Oklahoma
    I've got a juvie that looked like your chick when it was younger. It was an egg from my brothers flock that I incubated with my bantam eggs. He has quite a few Production Red type hens and Heinz Variety Roos.
    20191106_130723.jpg 20190814_182916.jpg

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: