question on colors in silkies?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by chicken truck, Oct 24, 2009.

1. chicken truck

chicken truck Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2009
    Columbiana, Alabama
    what colors would you breed to hopefully obtain Lavender & Porcelain Silkies.
    would like to start breeding toward these colors but not sure where to start.

2. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Chillin' With My Peeps

You can't make lavender. Yu will need to obtain a lavender bird or a bird which carries lavender. The former being favourable.

To make what silkie people are calling "porcelain" I imagine the first cross would be buff X lavender. Breed F1s together & select.

3. chicken truck

chicken truck Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2009
    Columbiana, Alabama
    thanks for that info. this may be a silly question but by F1's are you refering to the offspring of the 1st cross between the Lavender and Buff? sorry im am not good with the genetics. BTW know anyone with a lavender Roo they'll let go of...LOL.
    thanks for the info.

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Yes, you breed the offspring of buff X lavender together, and about half will inherit lavender from both parents. Of the other half, equal portions will be split vs carrying no copies, and there is no way to tell from appearance.

You could go to silkiebantampoultryclassifieds yahoo group and ask, or to any of the yahoo silkie groups or the club website and ask.

5. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    I have a Silkiesomething roo to let go. There are a lot of nicer birds out there carrying the lavender gene, but their owners aren't letting them out of their sight until you empty your pockets! I got him for a porcelain hen, but she doesn't lay eggs anymore. I can bring him to the Ohio National if you are going or know someone who is. I'll PM you.

6. Krys109uk

Yes, you breed the offspring of buff X lavender together, and about half will inherit lavender from both parents. Of the other half, equal portions will be split vs carrying no copies, and there is no way to tell from appearance.

From buff X lavender parents, 1 in 4 will inherit two lavender genes necessary for lavender to show (one from each parent), 1 in 2 will inherit one lavender gene from a parent (could be either) & 1 in 4 will not inherite an lavender genes.

But the one in four birds showing as lavender having inherited a gene from each parent, will have inherited a variety of other genes from their parents. About 3 out of 4 birds will have inherited either one or two columbian genes which restricts black pigment, the same can probably be said of dark brown columbian, mahogany & dilute but they won't necessarily be the same 3 of 4 (presuming the original buff silkies carried those genes). Then there are various melanisers from the original lavender.

Really, from crossing the F1s, imo, only about a quarter of the birds, the birds showing lavender, will be useful. Some will appear leaky lavender colour others will tend toards "porcelain" (in the silkie sense of the term). Mostly after that it would be a matter of selection. If the colour is tending too much towards lavender rather than the lighter "porcelain" colour, perhaps another outcross to buff would help (& breeding the offspring together); this will bring the colour towards isobel.​

7. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    [​IMG]
    OK I have some quick questions.
    I know that the Lavender Gene ( lav ) is a simple recessive gene that dilutes
    Black to Pale Gray ( lavender ) and Red to Buff or Cream and that it can operate on any base pattern, changing Black birds to Self Lavander as on the Lavender Araucanas.
    Now my questions are. How do you get Porcelain from crossing Lavender to Buff? Wouldn't that just dilute the Buff to a Cream color? Shouldn't you cross Lavender to Mille Fleur to get Porcelain just like crossing Lavender to Mottled ( spangled ) gives you Pearl?

Chris

Last edited: Oct 25, 2009
  8. Krys109uk

How do you get Porcelain from crossing Lavender to Buff? Wouldn't that just dilute the Buff to a Cream color? Shouldn't you cross Lavender to Mille Fleur to get Porcelain just like crossing Lavender to Mottled ( spangled ) gives you Pearl?

LOL.....yes you're quite right. But a seemingly well known silkie breeder has decided so call his intermediate lavender/ isobel buff type silkies "porcelain". So it is not really a proper porcelain as most chicken breeders know the colour.
    More confusion in hobby names. [​IMG]

9. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Thanks Krys...
    You just have to love the hobby names. [​IMG]

Chris

10. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:From buff X lavender parents, 1 in 4 will inherit two lavender genes necessary for lavender to show (one from each parent), 1 in 2 will inherit one lavender gene from a parent (could be either) & 1 in 4 will not inherite an lavender genes.

Arrrgh--boy did I mess that up. And I KNOW better [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by