Question on coop materials.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by whisperingwind, Jun 25, 2016.

1. whisperingwind

whisperingwind Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2016
    Bradford Maine
    I am building my bigger coops this week for my Wyandottes and Bresses and I am wondering, is it safe to use Flex-Seal on the floor for traction and weather proofing? From what I can tell it's a non-toxic aerosol type of rubber.

Thanks in advance for any and all info, help, suggestions etc.

~Mike
    Whispering Winds Farm

2. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    Not sure the size of the coop but a more cost effective way would be either black jack or porch and floor paint. I used porch and floor paint. It is oil based, needed no priming and is holding up well to many hens and many cleanings. I do use shavings on top of it.

Not sure if flex seal is non toxic to chickens but I would not chance it.

I paid under 30 dollars for the porch and floor paint and it covered the floor of the 8x14 with paint to spare. It is VERY good stuff in my opinion.

OH and [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
  3. whisperingwind

whisperingwind Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2016
    Bradford Maine
    Much appreciated, this is our first year with chickens and learning everything is a task and a half.

4. TerryH

TerryH Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2016
    NW Arkansas
    My Coop
    We used Blackjack57 roof coating on our coop floor. Worked great. Many have used it here. Available at Lowes. $50 for 5 gallons.

5. Rock Home Isle

Rock Home Isle Chillin' With My Peeps

Not sure what type of coop you have...

[​IMG]

I painted the inside of my coop white.

[​IMG]

Then I put about 7 inches of wood shavings in the coop. The inside of the egg boxes are painted brown, it makes them look more inviting for the girls to lay eggs.

Works great.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by