Question on coop size and concrete floor

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by flowerchild59, May 25, 2010.

1. flowerchild59

flowerchild59 Songster

Apr 25, 2010
    Southern IL
    I have a large concrete slab upon which our new coop can be built. I see some sites mentioning not having concrete flooring for a coop. I plan to have a "back door" to open up when I need to clean out the coop. Are you all for or against concrete flooring? Would you use it if you had the chance and was already there. Frankly, I would be happy to have it covered up so I don't have to look at the slab the rest of my life.
    Also, I am looking for coop plans for 30+ birds. Any ideas? Is it possible to convert a steel building into a chicken house?
    BTW, The chicken run will have a covered top over a dirt run.

2. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Crowing

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Concrete makes a great coop floor.
    It's predator proof and easy to clean
    And yours is already there

Just be sure to use anchor bolts to hold your coop in place

Last edited: May 25, 2010
  3. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    I put down a concrete floor and covered it with vinyl. I also put down about 4 inches of pine shavings. It makes it predator proof and I'm hoping it will make cleaning a breeze!

4. Frogdogtimestwo

Frogdogtimestwo Songster

May 21, 2008
    I am sure some will say it is bad, but I have three coops and the one with a concrete floor is the easiest to clean with a square nosed shovel. It is lined with DE and shavings and I have never had any issues with the birds on it.

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I think just plain old concrete would be hard on their legs when jumping down from the roosts, a reason most often given against it. But several inches of floor bedding fixes that right up.
    For 30 birds, you would want a housing of 120 sq. ft....so a 10 x 12 shed/coop of some kind. I would not go with metal myself, unless you plan on insulating it. Many have had sweating/moisture issues with uninsulated metal. Metal sheds really seem to soak in the heat too... I'd either build something yourself or get a premade shed...

6. Pineywoods Peepers

Pineywoods Peepers Certified Poultry Accruer

Can you put a drain in a concrete floor and then hose the place down to clean and disinfect it after you've taken out the shavings? Or is that bad for chickens?

Rachel

7. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Crowing

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Can you put a drain in a concrete floor and then hose the place down to clean and disinfect it after you've taken out the shavings?

That would work as long as you have time to let it dry before you put them back in​

8. poodlepill

poodlepill Songster

Feb 27, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    I have concrete floor in my coop and so far I really like it.

9. KenLamWV

KenLamWV Chirping

Feb 25, 2010
    Bridgeport, WV
    Although I have no personal experience with concrete coop floors, would you have to worry about the shavings clogging the drain pipe? I don't know but before you go through the expense, hopefully someone will reply to this post and add their two cents to the idea. Other than that- Good Luck!!

10. PriceFamilyFarms

PriceFamilyFarms Songster

Apr 18, 2010
    Henderson, NC
    I would recommend using pressure treated wood anchored to the concrete slab. Also, if you don't have a drain in the floor already, you can add a PVC drainage trench right on the edge of the slab by the door. Then when you clean the coop, just squeegee the water towards the drain.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: