Question on Coop Ventilation

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by wac, May 10, 2011.

1. wac

wac Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2011
    Indiana
    I'm building my first coop. It is a 4'8"Wx8' L with 4'H walls. I have a full ridge vent, vents under both gables ,2 small vents/windows above nest boxes on 1 side of coop & a 22x 42 window on other side. I'm getting ready to close in the eves should I install some vents there also? In winter do you close some of them. Thanks for any advice you can give. WAC

2. Hoosierchickens

Hoosierchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2011
    Cloverdale, IN
    I'm no expert but I would put in a few soffit vents. I think a ridge vent and gable vents are excessive but won't hurt. Can your gable vents be shut in the winter? In the winter time, I would think that the ridge vent and soffit vents will be enough. I'm curious to see what others think. Good luck.

3. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
  4. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    My answer to your question is I would build your coop with more ventilation then you need. That way if it gets real hot your set. The heat is harder on the birds than the cold. Plus you can always cover the window with a tarp are a board if needed. Its real hot where I'm at so my coops are built with heat in mind. Last winter it got colder than usual so I just tarp ed the windows & they did fine. Some days I would have more tarps up than others it depends on the wind. I tried to keep the cold wind off the birds.

5. latebloomer

latebloomer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    green mountain state
    to some degree that question has to do with your location.

where are you?

6. ECBW

ECBW Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    NJ
    Hi WAC,

I echo the responses you got so far. The local weather extremes would really dictate what you need. Mine is situated at the edge of a deciduous forest, lots of shade in the summer and solar heat in the winter. All of openings can be closed as needed in the winter depending on which way the cold wind is coming from.

From reading your description, with the your walls being 4-foot tall, I am curious how the access is?

Mine has 3-1/2-foot wall, but the foot print is 3x6. It is a lean-in rather than walk-in. I can reach all corners leaning through a 2-foot wide door.

7. wac

wac Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2011
    Indiana
    Thanks for the replies. I'm located in central IN near Terre Haute. It can be humid and hot in summer (90's) and sometimes can get down to 0 in winter but not very often. I've decided to put sofit vents in under both eves and I have made gable vents that can be closed in winter. I'm trying to finish as soon as possible my chicks need to be out of brooder (4 weeks old). I'm planning on keeping just 10-12 of the Buff Orp. pullets I bought do I need to take the time to insulate walls, I did put 1/2" sheet insulation board under metal roof.

8. latebloomer

latebloomer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    green mountain state
    i think that you'll be fine with just the insulation under the metal roof

9. wac

wac Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2011
    Indiana
    Thanks ELMO for the link on ventilation It was very helpful

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by