QUestion on Cornish X?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by ilovemydog, Oct 21, 2011.

1. ilovemydog

ilovemydog Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Thinking of ordering 10 cornish cross straight run..to cull and eat? Does this sound like a good idea? We will butcher around 5 weeks just in time for thanksgiving..need input and how to get started..This will be the first meat birds we ever get!! Also is this a good way to save money..than just buying a chicken from the grocery store?

P.S. they will be coming from ideal.

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    5 weeks is a little young, unless you are going for small cornish game hen-sized.

...and no, it doesn't usually save money unless you do a bunch of birds, and have tons of freezer space.

3. kfacres

kfacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    I would think you should be able to reach a respectable weight in only 5 weeks... I would allow your bird FC feed at all times, high in energy and protein... and I would give them light 24 hrs a day. push the snot out of them, and hope you don't burn em out.

4. EggsForIHOP

EggsForIHOP Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    TEXAS
    You probably aren't going to be saving a ton of money (unless I suppose you compare yours to an organic chicken at the store or a cornish game hen at the store - which were $2.49/lb and $3.33/lb a few days ago - I looked, I thought it was nuts)....anyways, yeah, not getting rich off of savings anytime soon BUT it will be rewarding to do it yourself! THAT is PRICELESS in my book! If you can enjoy it for what it is - homegrown, maybe with a little room to run out doors, happy healthy chickens, if you can do that, really, it's priceless.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by