1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

question on coup construction ....can you Id this coup?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jlbpa, Jan 6, 2008.

1. jlbpa

jlbpa Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2008
  2. carugoman

carugoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2007
    NW FL Crestview
    looks like 1/2 inch ACX plywood...OSB is way cheaper,slap one coat each of primer and paint and you're good to go!

3. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    Well, if I were building it, I'd use 1/2" at least. thinner, and you will have more warpage problems. Besides, I just don't think 1/4 is heavy enough for anything.

4. Laura Jensen

Laura Jensen Out Of The Brooder

Jan 8, 2008
    I can definitely ID that coop, as it's one of the nicest I've come across. It's a design that is "many years in use in Holland," and was on a website designed by Joke Osinga in 2000. It's since disappeared from there. I've emailed him a couple of times asking him to re-post the information, but haven't received a response. On the bright side, I did have the foresight in 2000 to print ALL the pages of instructions, and I have them still. I've been meaning to scan them to PDF and/or JPG format so I can distribute them to folks who want them, but haven't done it yet. My husband might do it tomorrow morning. Otherwise, it will have to wait until I go back to work where the really good scanner is, probably Wednesday.

FYI, the front, sides and roof are 1/2-inch, waterproof plywood, and the back panel is 3/8-inch waterproof plywood. One of the coolest aspects of this design is the elegance of the nest-box construction. It just lifts out, yet provides a solid, waterproof nesting enclosure with an easy-to-remove lid.

I have heard from some who have built it that it can blow over in a strong wind, so you'll want to keep that in mind and anchor it accordingly.

5. ChickenCop

ChickenCop Chillin' With My Peeps

If you get it scanned I am very interested about the nest box setups! Thanks!

6. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

Laura, do the printouts you have show the URL at the top or bottom of the page? If yes, you can maybe type it into the wayback machine:

http://www.archive.org/web/web.php

You may be able to pull up all the archived data. Good luck!

7. midoris

midoris Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2008
    I'm interested too. Hope you can get them scanned or find another link.

8. Laura Jensen

Laura Jensen Out Of The Brooder

Jan 8, 2008
    Double-post.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2008
  9. homecatmom

homecatmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Darn, I can't see the coop. [​IMG] The Geocities site says that it is unavailable...

10. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    I am also interested in site or if you are able to scan!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by