question on duckling feed... brewers yeast....

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Mojo Chick'n, Feb 7, 2009.

1. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

heya all -

Well, I've been feeding the new babies chick starter (non medicated) and I've been told to add brewers yeast to it, but how much should I put into the feed for 21 ducklings?

I am feeding them in a little open feeder that holds about a pint of feed at a time. I usually fill this a couple of times a day - I fill it every morning, then when it is nearly empty (usually by evening) I top it off with another scoop.

I am crushing up 1 pill per scoop, for now, but I was wondering if that was enough.

thanks -
    meri

2. banter

banter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    How big i your scoop?

3. Mojo Chick'n

Quote:one pint

4. banter

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    I pill is not very much for a pint. I would add at least a tablespoon full-but do some research. If I have time I'll do a search.

5. Mojo Chick'n

Quote:I've found articles that reccomend the brewers yeast - but no ratios, yet. I'll keep looking.

thanks -
    meri

6. banter

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    1 1/2 cups Brewers Yeast to about 19 cups of starter IF it's not already included in the mix-this is from "The Home Duck Flock," Holderread

7. Mojo Chick'n

thanks [​IMG]

meri

8. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Wow, that's a lot! Maybe that's what my problem is? I wish these feed stores around here would carry waterfowl starter!! [​IMG]

9. Wait, sorry I may be misunderstanding what's been said, please forgive me if so. I think if you are using crushed brewers yeast tablets that won't translate very well to the Holderread's ratio. Holderread is referring to powdered brewers yeast. Usually tablets have fillers, and sometimes they are concentrated.

10. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I am almost 100% sure that is what she is using. She lives nearby me, and that's all I could find. Miss Prissy had told me before just to crush a few pills and sprinkle it on their feed, but that was for my 2 ducklings. Mojo has 21, so I think a few pills won't quite cut it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by