Question on egg laying age.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Aamanda, Dec 24, 2013.

1. Aamanda

Aamanda Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2013
    Linn Creek, MO
    From my experience chickens don't usually lay until about 6 months.Right? The majority of my flock is Hatchery RIR's. They were hatched Aug 7th and I have them on timed light and expect eggs to start (I hope) in Feb somtime. I also have three bantam Cochin hatched Sept 10th a laying EE and 2 Buff Orpingtons. With 15 total hours of light they do a decent job of keeping my family in eggs over this winter. Last week one of my BO layed 6 eggs straight and I was wondering but today I got four eggs. Its a decent size so it must be one of the reds. Just seems way to early? The reds have been growing nice red combs in the last week but.....
    Is it an exception or can I expect a few more of my reds to start to lay as well? The ones with the big combs.

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    The more production type hatchery birds, which I would include RIR under, usually start laying sooner than six months ime. Layer hybrids like the ISA Browns raised under commercial conditions they expect about 80% to be laying at 22 weeks, I wouldn't expect the RIR to be quite that good, but they should be a lot better than the average fancy breeds.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    My guess is that the birds with the larger/redder combs are maturing earlier than their flock mates, and yes they will be the first to lay.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I had a red sex link start laying at 16 weeks. It's not usual or expected, but it can happen, especially with high production birds.

5. Aamanda

Aug 29, 2013
    Linn Creek, MO
    Thank u all for the replies! If comb development is an indicator I may very well be into a lot of eggs very soon!

6. Aamanda

Aug 29, 2013
    Linn Creek, MO
    So far whichever hen it is has laid double yolkers every time. lol

7. tatertot

tatertot Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2013
    My tire started laying at 24 weeks...each pullet lays their own color and shape...eggs get bigger...example...my re d stars lay whoppers but I can tell by shape and color
    who laid it...I'd say by your YouTube yes you've got rir laying...with plenty more to follow..my rirs lay a dark brown egg with white speckles...my ee eggs are getting whoppersize...except kings...she was a late Bloomer...my Bo started laying last...mine were hatched may 10 2013...started laying(red stars) 2nd week of September

Congratulations on the eggs...
    I got 15/15 today and I don't use extra lighting

8. tatertot

tatertot Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2013
    RiR..not tire...stupid auto correct

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by