1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question on Egg Size: Pullet eggs vs. X-Large Eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by twincreekfarm, Dec 21, 2007.

1. twincreekfarm

twincreekfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2007
    Vandalia, OH
    I have 13, 5 month old pullets (Araucanas and RIR's) and most of my eggs have been standard pullet sized (smaller than a medium egg) but here and there I get these enormus x-Large eggs. What does this? I'm hoping its just happy chickens!! For the past few days one RIR has given me 3 of these huge eggs. My Araucana (Laya) gave me one and that was after a night in the chicken hospital for some R&R from the roo's and to wash her saddle and doctor up roo wounds on her back. Just wondering what cause this.

Thanks in advance, I'll post a few pics of the eggs in a few mins.

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Were they double-yolkers? That often happens with new layers as their system is working out the kinks. As much as we are thrilled with double yolked eggs, it is really a glitch and isn't supposed to happen. They'll on occasion produce a larger egg here and there as they get older, then most of them will be larger.

3. twincreekfarm

Jul 20, 2007
    Vandalia, OH
    Ya know, I haven't cracked one open yet to see if they're double yolkers yet! That's quite possibly an answer! I should do that now!

4. twincreekfarm

Jul 20, 2007
    Vandalia, OH
    Ok, here are the pictures. And I have to say that everything I have learned from speckledhen has been dead on the money! That's why she makes such a great moderator! You were right! I cracked it open and there was a double yolker! Thanks again for your help!

X-Large on the inside, regular pullets on the outside:
    [​IMG]

My double-yolker!
    [​IMG]

5. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    Technically that double yolker is still a pullet egg. Future eggs from the same girl(s) will get BIGGER. The biggest jump in size usually comes with the 2nd and 3rd laying cycle they go through.

Matt
    Morganton, NC

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by