Question on embryo development

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by coolchickens, Feb 12, 2009.

1. coolchickens

coolchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a question re the embryo development. I know it says that when the hen starts setting then the development starts so the eggs all hatch at almost same time but today when I candled, it appeared one of the eggs is almost half full of a chick, another three have dark spots like chicks that are smaller, maybe several days, then a couple of clear ones possibly. My hen did something different this time. When she started growling & showing broodiness I started leaving eggs in nest. She was not sitting on them at all during the day but at night she was sitting on them ALL night long. The temp that wk here in CA was running about 70 in the day but cold at night. She continued to lay eggs for about 1 1/2 wks until up to 8 eggs then went 24/7 on the nest last Sat. 7th. Is it poss. sitting all night started development? That one egg sure looks like a BIG chick in it. Doesn't smell or look like bacteria. Can one hatch way bef. the others from her sitting at night? Then if it does, I guess I'll have to pull it into a brooder so she stays on the others, right? Help - Sharon

2. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    I wouldn't see why it would not be possible for that to happen...not sure about pulling the chick out into a brooder...personally I think it would be a good idea but I could also see as how it could go the other way [​IMG]

3. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    Quote:When a hen goes broody, and starts to sit, she will not get off the eggs until they hatch, other than for very brief periods to drink and poop. She may or may not eat. She will stay until they hatch, or until about 30 days when she will finally give up.

If she is doing anything other than this, she is probably not broody.

4. coolchickens

coolchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Twigg, she's definitely very broody. She has been sitting 24/7 with her fixed stare on her face, growling if anything comes near her and today was the first day I saw her off to eat & drink for about 5 min. then right back on her 8 eggs. (This is day 6 of continuous setting) When she starts to show she's broody, she is a very "clucky" hen, fluffing and spinning with wings out at other hens then she starts laying for a wk, then goes to nest 24/7. This time was different as she showed she was getting broody with clucking, fluffing, scaring hens away, and ea. day she layed an egg for 8 total. My issue with her this time is she would sit on them all night during the laying time bef. she went to nesting 24/7 about 8 days later. I'm worried if on those first eggs layed when she was sitting on them for at least 12 hr. during the night, then off of them all day might have caused them to start to develop weird instead of the eggs just sitting there cold until she went 24/7 on the nest and developing all at the same time. Ever hear of this before? Thanks - Sharon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by