Question on feathered feet..

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hd_darcy, Jul 8, 2010.

1. hd_darcy

hd_darcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I'm just wondering if it means anything when a chicken has a ton of feathers on their feet. Is that a bad thing? I have 4 cochins, and one's feet looks like she can barely walk! The rest of them just look feathered, this one looks crazily feathered [​IMG]

Thanks in advance!

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    No, other than it tends to make them a bit clumsy as babies.

All of my dark brahmas have heavily feathered feet. My roo used to trip over his as a chick. He finally figured out how to walk with them.

[​IMG]

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

My most-feather-footed cochin (bantam) just looks so much like she's scooting along in her bedroom slippers. She makes me smile. I have a bantam black cochin, too, but her feet aren't QUITE as fully feathered. The bantam Buff Brahma roo's feathered-on-one-side legs make him look, well.. more rugged. His feet aren't feathered as much as the cochins, and his stance as he bounds around looks more like a dinosaur than a chicken of leisure.

4. BloominOrchid

BloominOrchid Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Worcester Township
    I have a 3 week old hatch of cochins, 14 of them. all the feet have different amounts of feathers. Some of them can run like the wind! they will figure it out. I have my guesses tho I think the boys have more feathers on the feet [​IMG]

5. pennie1

pennie1 Redneck Silkie

Aug 17, 2009
    Hiles
    Aren't they so darn cute? M&M my 1month old Cochin Bantam cross is just so cute. It doesn't slow her down much. She is into everything.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Looks kinda like she's ice skating

6. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    My giant cochin rooster Marshmellow's feet have such long feathers that he has developed his own walk. He walks straight legged just like the Naxis did during WW11. I get a charge out of watching him strut his stuff lol

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:That's how my Thor walks, until he needs to run. Then he throws his legs out to the side and it never fails to remind me...Run Forrest Run! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by