Question on feed in the coop?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Ravenxxx, Mar 14, 2007.

1. Ravenxxx

Ravenxxx Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2007
    England
    Do you feed and water chickens at night in the coop or just during the day when they are out and about?

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I keep free choice food and water in the coops at all times. They very likely aren't eating or drinking at night, but I'm sure they do when they wake up before me in the morning.

Jody

3. Barnyard Dawg

Barnyard Dawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    Northern California
    I am very fortunate that I have dogs and chickens that co-exist together. I will leave my coop door open that goes to the pen so they always have access to water and to go outside. Normally I don’t feed them at night but if there is some feed left from the day I will leave it in the pen. My dogs keep a look out for any critters that might be roaming in the night.

4. pegbo

pegbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    I give my chicks free choice on food, water, grit, and oyster shells. That way I know they're getting enough food.[​IMG]

5. blue90292

blue90292 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    Rosharon, TX
    they ususally have a little left over food from that day. i leave them that since i don't get up as early as they do. [​IMG] and i make sure to give them just enough, so not to spoil the feed.

but i give them fresh water at night and again in the morning.

6. chickengirl

chickengirl Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2007
    Florida
    Hi i give mine their feed and water in the mornin the ones that i have roamin the yard and at night i go through my show birds in the pens and then they have food all throughout the day along with water i mainly do everything at night so then the next day they already have everything.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by