Question on feeding baby chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Brahmadarma, Aug 19, 2008.

1. Brahmadarma

Brahmadarma Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2008
    I have six, week-old chicks. I asked my feed store for medicated starter crumbles and the guy said, "You don't want crumbles. Any kind of mash is good and most people don't bother with medicated"
    So I am feeding them mash. They are eating well and seem healthy and energetic and are growing fast. But are they getting what they need?
    I got them at four days old, so they've had four days of mash.
    Can anyone help?

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Starter mash is preferred.

Keep their crops full and in a couple of weeks you can treat them with some yogurt. They are fun to watch.

3. Brahmadarma

Aug 13, 2008
    So I haven't endangered them too horribly? Thank goodness for that.
    Yes they are so much fun, I don't seem to be getting anything done since they arrived.
    Today (8 days from hatching) they are testing their legs and their little wings, racing across the coop and jumping to see how high they can get, its actually pretty high, I will need to raise the guard screen tomorrow! They are already catching flies in midair and eating them - I can't tell you how proud that makes me feel!

4. Brahmadarma

Aug 13, 2008
    Will they eat yogurt?

5. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Mash is fine. I believe it's all the same ingredients as crumble and pellets they are just in different forms. Mash being the smallest particles from making chicken feed and pellets being the biggest. Mash is preferred for my little japanese bantam chicks. They can't eat some of the larger pieces in crumbles. Medicated feed is usually suggested if you are new to chickens. An outbreak of cocci could kill all your chicks if you don't know what to watch for or have experience caring for them.

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Yes they love yogurt and it's good for their digestive tracts. Make sure it's plain yogurt, not the fruity kind. I waited until mine were about 10 days old and eating their starter crumbles real well before I gave them yogurt.
    One word of caution: Set the bowl of yogurt down and then get out the way. They fling it everywhere!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by