Question on feeding ducklings

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mliga, Jun 1, 2008.

1. mliga

mliga Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2008
    Kingwood, WV
    Hi everyone,

I have a question about when to change ducklings feed rations. Ok, I
    have read Storey's Guide from cover to cover and it says that you
    should change ducklings over to a lower protein feed at 3 weeks of
    age.

The ducklings have been on 20% protein chick starter since we got
    them. I gave them Durvet Electrolytes and Vitamins in their water the
    first week since they had a bad trip. Now I am giving them ACV and a
    niacin tablet (as per the measurement in Storey's).

Storey's suggest that you change them to a 16-18% protein feed at 3
    weeks.

Any comments, advice?? [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thanks
    Michelle in WV

2. DuckyBoys

DuckyBoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Ya know I think I just read that myself yesterday. I haven't changed my feed - using Purina Flock Raiser with 20%. Purina says to change them over when they hit laying age at 20 weeks. My oldest are now about 9 weeks old. What will you change them to if you do? What is a good duck/goose layer ration? I'm glad you asked this question!

Mine are mostly pasture raised, they only eat feed at night and it leterally does take only 5 minutes for them to go through it (Like D. holderread says in the book).

Edit - I just looked at Purina website and they say:

At 18-20 weeks of age, feed Purina Mills[​IMG] Layena[​IMG] SunFresh[​IMG] Recipe free-choice to chickens, ducks, turkeys and geese.

http://poultry.purinamills.com/OURPRODUCTS/Products/FlockRaiser/default.aspx

Any other options out there?

Last edited: Jun 1, 2008
  3. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    We feed ours gamebird starter til 2 or three weeks and start changing over to all purpose pellets. When I can get them, we only use the all purpose 16% pellets and have a feeder full of oystershell for the girls, since the males don't need the extra calcium that layer feed has.
    If you have all girls, then you can switch to layer at about 16 to 20 weeks.

4. DuckyBoys

DuckyBoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Quote:Hmmm...I never thought about girls vs boys. [​IMG]

So do I have to feed my girls and boys seperately when the girls hit laying age? And will they lay in the fall or will they wait until next spring? I was kinda counting on not having to deal with this until spring.

What about gooses? [​IMG] Same questions....

5. DuckLady

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    If you have a feeder of oystershell for the girls, all purpose is good for everyone. Same for the gooses. [​IMG]

6. mliga

mliga Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2008
    Kingwood, WV
    Quote:So would that go the same for the chickens since you would not want the roosters to get too much calicium?

My ducks/chickens are going to be fenced in the same area (seperate coops). The chickens are already in the area since they are almost 8 weeks old.

Michelle in WV

7. DuckLady

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Goes for the chickens, too! [​IMG]

We have our chickens, drakes and geese all together. The laying ducks and all the special needs ducks are in a separate area. We separated the ducks because you know how drakes are in the spring. [​IMG]

8. mliga

mliga Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2008
    Kingwood, WV
    Quote:Well we want ducklings in the spring so we will keep the drakes with the ducks. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by