1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question on Feeding Leftover Produce

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by iwiw60, Feb 22, 2014.

1. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    I work at a large restaurant as a prep cook and am able to bring home all the lettuce scraps and produce scraps I would ever want. My question is this: if I have 2-3 chickens, how much should I give them each day? [​IMG]

2. Conchis

Conchis Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2012
    Georgia
    I with that I could answer your question, but, just to give you one more thing to thing about as you do this. If you'll put your leftover produce down, cover it with dry leaves, you'll be making a compost pile. The chickens will scratch through the leaves to get to the produce and constantly turn it for you. Their droppings will further enrich the compost in the process. I do this at my house and I end up reusing almost off of the organic materials at my house. I don't eat meat sooooo...there's not meat in the compost, but I do crush up the egg shells in the produce so that gets reused as well.

3. iwiw60

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Thanks for your reply! But alas, I live in an area that is full of predators...I mean LOTS of predators, so my setup will be with a contained run only. If I had the luxury of starting a compost pile I would for sure.

4. TheEggCollecter

TheEggCollecter Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2014
    Massachusettes
    For two or three chickens a handful of lettuce every other day or so is plenty. To much greenery can cause diarrhea. [​IMG]

5. iwiw60

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Thanks for the info..appreciate it. I had a hunch giving them too much would do that!

6. TheEggCollecter

TheEggCollecter Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2014
    Massachusettes
    Your welcome! Another tip take some of the lettuce and tie it to the top of run or coop so that hangs. The chickens will jump up to reach it. It keeps the chickens busy and is funny to watch. [​IMG]

7. iwiw60

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by