question on fertilized eggs

Discussion in 'Geese' started by horsefeather, Jan 18, 2011.

1. horsefeather

horsefeather Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2010
    I have Sebs and 1 is an older female. One of the younger ganders took to her last year and has taken up with her again this year. Last year we had to seperate them because he was so 'amourous' and darn near killed her. Ok, my question, if I seperate them again, how long before I need to put him back in with her to make sure the eggs are fertile. In other words, how long is a covering good for?
    Pam

2. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    What did he do that he "darn near killed her"? Can you explain? And are you sure that you have a male and female? Has she laid any eggs?

Laurie

3. horsefeather

Jun 19, 2010
    She is an older goose and layed last year. He mates and mates with her. He is much larger than she is and eventually he will have her head bleeding. Last year she got completely down and we put her by herself, carried food and water to her. She finally got ok. He is doing the same thing this year and I want to seperate them before she gets down like last year. I guess it doesn't really matter about my question because we are going to seperate her from him anyway. He just walks the fence when we take her away, but when she started setting he did go mate with another female. So yes, I do know she is a she and he is a he.[​IMG]
    Pam

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Assuming that he is fertile, one mating should easily provide enough sperm to fertilize a week's worth of eggs. (Actually quite bit longer than that.) Once a week conjugal visits with one or two observed matings should do the job.

5. horsefeather

Jun 19, 2010
    Thank you very much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by