1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question on figuring out if we have a rooster or not.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by whisper237, May 20, 2011.

1. whisper237

whisper237 Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2011
    We ordered chicks and of course with the Batams its a "straightrun". The chicks are now 3 months old and I still cannot figure out if we have a rooster. Is there a good way to tell now as they all look alike to me. I can tell on the other breed which are roosters because of their combs. But its not working for the Buff Braham Batams.

I appreciate the help as we need a rooster for my son's 4h project and I would hope we got one.

2. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    Can you take pictures? Try to get good individual side-on shots. Don't get in so close that the camera's out of focus or so far away that you can't tell it's a chicken. Post them in the "What Breed Or Gender is This?" and see what people say.

Then throw out most of the responses and focus on the people who tell you why they picked what they did. That'll both get you your answers on this group and teach you what to look for in the future.

3. whisper237

whisper237 Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2011
    thanks for the info, I will try and get some on Monday. We are leaving for the weekend tonight so I won't have time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by