Question on hatchery weights?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Newchickenguy, Nov 20, 2013.

1. Newchickenguy

Newchickenguy Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2012
    Ok so different hathceries list differnt weights for the chickens. As and example cacklhatchery lists it RIR roosters as 9.5 lbs where as Myer hatchery lists it RIR roosters as 7 lbs. Cackle hatcherys listed weights are way higer than Myers for some reason. Can someone explain why or does cackle just have better chickens???

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    The answers are going to be opinion. So on that front, my opinion is that the description is based on the writer of their description's research on the breed. There might be 2.5 lbs. difference in the weight of mature roos of various lines but whether the heavier one is from the hatchery that claims that weight and vice versa is anybody's guess.

Some hatcheries hire a writer to describe the breed. Their writing isn't necessarily based on the birds that make up the hatchery producers' actual stock.

3. Newchickenguy

Nov 20, 2012
    I guess I want to know if cackle hatchery birds are really that much bigger than Myer?

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Maybe call cackle and ask them about their description.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Most hatcheries sell chickens they call RIR that are really red production birds. The real honest to goodness Rhode Island Reds are much larger and a very dark mahogany brown chicken. That could be the differences in the weights. You cannot get a real RIR from a hatchery, only from a small amount of breeders in the US. If you look on this thread many of the breeders are here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/407294/the-heritage-rhode-island-red-site/6160#post_12300258

6. Newchickenguy

Nov 20, 2012
    Yea I understand hatchery birds are not as big as breeder birds, but in my post I mentioned nothing about breeder birds? I want to know how there can you be a huge difference in weight between those too hatcheries? I mean 2 lbs is a big difference when it comes to chickens. Maybe Cackle is false advertising or maybe Myer is understating there birds??

7. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

I hope you find someone who actually ordered the same birds from both of those hatcheries and has a comparison for you. Or, as suggested earlier, contact each hatchery and inquire about the accuracy of their descriptions.

8. Newchickenguy

Nov 20, 2012
    Every time I call a hatchery I get the lady that doesn't know much about chickens, let alone there adult weights, and as one person suggested they just have writers write there information anyway. I just want someone here that has experience tell me which is it. Also Cackles barred rocks reach like 2 more lbs than Myers or so they say. I am not trying to through under the bus here I just cant believe there would be that much difference in 2 hatcherys.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by