Question on hen raising guinea keets

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mrsfarmchick1, May 19, 2011.

1. mrsfarmchick1

mrsfarmchick1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2010
    Bandera, Texas
    My hen hatched out several guinea keets and I need to know if I can let her integrate them into the flock (she is the dominate hen), or if I should isolate her and the keets completely until they are a certain age. Right now I have her in a tote in the chicken house and the keets would not be able to get out, but I guess she could if she wanted (it has only been one day so far).
    I have food and water in the tote and the keets are eating/drinking just fine.

The only isolation area I could move her to would be a hutch that is in another chicken run with another flock and I'm afraid she would freak. I want her to be able to raise the guinea keets along with the chicken flock so they would all get along (I have 7 grown guineas that roost in the trees, but get along okay with the chickens - except when the males chase the roosters).

Any suggestions??? - and if I keep her with the flock, when should I tip the tote over so that the keets can leave it?

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    *bump* [​IMG]

3. cackler

cackler Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2009
    Central Kansas
    I am wondering the same thing. My broody hen has been broody for EVER and today finally a couple of keets hatched. I have had her in a cat carrier (that has had the door open) and there have been other hens that have laid eggs in there with the fertile guinea eggs... so I have now put her and the two baby keets in the cat carrier, as well as the remaining guinea eggs, in an area of the coop that no one else can get to. I am hopeful that this will help with her to raise the keets. [​IMG]

4. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    i have a silkie raising 3 keets- and plan on moving them to a coop that in the future will be the guinea coop- i just figure on raising them the way a hen normally does, but won't put them in the main flock for awhile-

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  5. cackler

May 9, 2009
    Central Kansas
    Quote:That's what I didn't know if was correct or not. Is it appropriate to isolate the keets with the hen from the rest of the chickens & guineas for awhile? I don't know how long but just felt that would be the best thing to do in light of the other hens occasionally taking over the cat carrier to lay an egg. Didn't want the little ones to be trampled. [​IMG] Great pic BTW.

6. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    i would, have you seen the thread on raising chicks with a broody? i'll have to find it for you- but yes, i am keeping them seperate so she can mother them and i can watch...LOL! now is your chance to make friends with them too- it will help later on when they join the main flock-

7. cackler

May 9, 2009
    Central Kansas
    Yeah when I first heard the very first keet's chirps today I picked it up and held it for a bit. Not something that happens every day! I am hopeful that the second and hopefully third & fourth etc. I can do that with. [​IMG]

8. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

If the hen can get out, you can bet the keets will be able to fly out in short order. Ya just gotta watch for wayward keets as some may fly out and not be able to figure out how to get back in. That would be the time to let them all out. Good luck.........Pop

9. cackler

May 9, 2009
    Central Kansas
    Thanks Pop. I'm gonna wait and see how it all transpires. [​IMG]

10. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    mine live in my art studio, i work from home, and so i was out feeding chickens and hubby yells- we have keets in the living room! [​IMG] so since mom knows i give treats i herded them back into their area- and they are fast little guys!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by